Scylla

This is my husband’s favorite find of our trip to Penn Dixie. It seems we both favor hash plates. :)

59A0D430-4CA8-4700-872D-6ACF50AE109F.jpeg

0F27EEA3-8F6C-4A5E-9E52-57F3A3278EA8.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

I had hoped to find three trilobites in this little rock. Unfortunately, I broke it while trying to clean it yesterday. :wacko: 

3BA41F11-C03B-4155-9024-D67C1156B21F.jpeg

A30933CA-E6D2-4F01-8813-F03F4CA148D8.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, BLT said:

I had hoped this to find three trilobites in this little rock. Unfortunately, I broke it while trying to clean it yesterday. :wacko: 

3BA41F11-C03B-4155-9024-D67C1156B21F.jpeg

A30933CA-E6D2-4F01-8813-F03F4CA148D8.jpeg

That can be glued back together

3 minutes ago, Scylla said:

That can be glued back together

Yeah, Byron will be staying busy with all of our Penn Dixie fossil projects. ;)

1 minute ago, Ludwigia said:

What is that long, thin object?

I have been wondering the same thing myself. :headscratch:

11 hours ago, Sjfriend said:

Crinoid stem?? Does it connect to the blob above the trio bit??

Until this morning, I hadn’t even noticed that it could be connected. I’m still not certain if it is or not. 

That blobby thing looks like a horn coral, so probably not. Still, it may be connected to something underneath those two. Nice finds!

Spectacular finds! I'm glad so many TFF members made this event and added so many great fossil to their collective collections. What a day it must have been. The weather and temps looked like they were  very nice though I did read about a couple of "time outs" due to the threat of lightning so I guess there was unsettled weather in the area. Looking forward to seeing more photos of everybody's finds once they get them cleaned up and have time to take some photos. Some impressive specimens already on display in this thread.

:thumbsu:

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, BLT said:

Until this morning, I hadn’t even noticed that it could be connected. I’m still not certain if it is or not. 

It definitely looks like it is. But it is not. The "blob" is definitely a horn coral. I'm still putting my money on a crinoid. There are some odd-looking ones that come out of the Bay View. They get very water worn even before they come out of the ground in that layer. I'll keep looking to see if I can find a more specific ID.

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

10 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

It definitely looks like it is. But it is not. The "blob" is definitely a horn coral. I'm still putting my money on a crinoid. There are some odd-looking ones that come out of the Bay View. They get very water worn even before they come out of the ground in that layer. I'll keep looking to see if I can find a more specific ID.

Thanks, Jay! :)

Based on its size I would think the most likely possibility is the distal end of a crinoid arm. I would not rule out coleolus sp which are also mid devonian of New York

4 hours ago, Bguild said:

That's one large crinoid stem! very cool find.

Thanks! Crinoids are my absolute favorite fossil, so I am quite pleased with it. :)

22 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

Based on its size I would think the most likely possibility is the distal end of a crinoid arm. I would not rule out coleolus sp which are also mid devonian of New York

Sorry, I shouldn't have said crinoid stem, I should've just left it at crinoid. Old habits. I would be willing to agree with Malcolm's assessment. Not going to be able to give a species, but the arm is likely.

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Here are some of the brachiopods we collected at Penn Dixie, including a pocketful from the Wanakah Shale, which @DevonianDigger gave to me. Thanks again, Jay! :)

51A0DD18-274A-4678-89C3-F05FA2433872.jpeg

DD276E75-1A26-4B37-B265-13F7A029144D.jpeg

A788FA91-5D29-4E5B-9F9A-1D6C9103211C.jpeg

46 minutes ago, BLT said:

Here are some of the brachiopods we collected at Penn Dixie, including a pocketful from the Wanakah Shale, which @DevonianDigger gave to me. Thanks again, Jay! :)

Oh, my giddy aunt! :default_faint:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

Oh, my giddy aunt! :default_faint:

Lol, those are only half of the brachiopods we collected. Many are still embedded in hash plates. I’m having a difficult time removing them without breakage. :(