Kane's Bug Preps

Kane

Very nicely done!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Hi,

Russian trilobite ? Very nice preparation, bravo !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Looks great, despite the difficulties encountered. :)

Awesome job, sir.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks, all. :) It was one of those preps that sucked me into the rabbit hole for a while, and I almost rage-quit a few times along the way. Budget permitting, it is also a wake-up call to get some additional equipment to cut down on the time and frustrations (which will just mean I'll end up taking on even more challenging preps :P ). The one helpful and minor addition that helped this one along was the acquisition of dispensing needles for the air abrader. I swear by them now!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Wow Kane.  48 hours!  Thats some real dedication man.  But what a specimen!   Can I ask what dispensing needles for the air abrader are?  Never heard of this before.

RB

7 minutes ago, RJB said:

Wow Kane.  48 hours!  Thats some real dedication man.  But what a specimen!   Can I ask what dispensing needles for the air abrader are?  Never heard of this before.

RB

I’m sure it would have taken half the time if I had more than the ARO for scribes. :D

Pictured here are the disposable dispensing needles I attach to the Paasche. @Malcolmt turned me on to them, and he does fine work. It helps concentrate the spray for more precision.

1A03EB10-75F7-48F1-A7F5-908C9B66FB03.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

Pictured here are the disposable dispensing needles I attach to the Paasche. @Malcolmt turned me on to them, and he does fine work. It helps concentrate the spray for more precision.

Ok, I get it now.  can you say what the size is for those needles?   So far the smallest tip size Ihave used is .018  and thank you for the picture.

RB

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

Ok, I get it now.  can you say what the size is for those needles?   So far the smallest tip size Ihave used is .018  and thank you for the picture.

RB

These are 18 gauge. I have a bag of 16 gauge ones arriving soon for more general work. 18 is pretty much as small as you can go with a Paasche before it refuses to push anything through. One day I hope to upgrade the abrader and have the functionality to get even smaller dispensing tips as some of the bugs I work on can be delicate and small!

• I found this Informative 1

@Kane, thanks for sharing!

I am overwhelmed by your prep artistry and your patience - 48 hours! 

I chunky rock turned into a :default_faint:by your skills and patience.

Congrats to your endurance and passion!
Franz Bernhard

I find the Paasche AEC air eraser, on,line. What are you using in it to abrade the matrix please? I find listed  AE-2   2 lbs. jars of etching pumice. 

8 hours ago, ynot said:

That came out looking very good!:thumbsu:

4 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

@Kane, thanks for sharing!

I am overwhelmed by your prep artistry and your patience - 48 hours! 

I chunky rock turned into a :default_faint:by your skills and patience.

Congrats to your endurance and passion!
Franz Bernhard

Thanks, gents... a labour of love freely admixed with doses of frustration. :P 

14 minutes ago, Bob Saunders said:

I find the Paasche AEC air eraser, on,line. What are you using in it to abrade the matrix please? 

For this one, I went with straight dolomite, 40 micron grain size. I sometimes mix that with baking soda for more delicate features. The surrounding matrix beside the trilobite was not abraded, but sanded using different grits of sandpaper. Some people don't like the smooth look and prefer a more natural/raw matrix appearance, but I wanted to experiment for this one, and there was nothing else on the bedding plane that needed to be featured. Also, been meaning to ask about your avatar and if that chair is in the east (looks quite nice). 

Also, been meaning to ask about your avatar and if that chair is in the east (looks quite nice). The chair is an antique for the Masonic Master of the lodge. It was actually said to have been set out for the trash, and rescued. As pictured I was a Warden. Now three times a Past Master of my lodge. Bob

9 minutes ago, Bob Saunders said:

Also, been meaning to ask about your avatar and if that chair is in the east (looks quite nice). The chair is an antique for the Masonic Master of the lodge. It was actually said to have been set out for the trash, and rescued. As pictured I was a Warden. Now three times a Past Master of my lodge. Bob

Glad it was! I think most of our lodge furniture is refurbished rescue material as well. :D 

• 4 weeks later...

Back in January while I was working through my prep queue, I was working on some Penn Dixie material. As a lot of this stuff is easy for me to get and fairly common, I wanted to get a bit fancy with some prep. The goal was to make a sideways mounted pedestal, and eventually square the tiny block. This was how it looked originally:

IMG_5600.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

So on I went, scribing and abrading away. It was coming along nicely until the pedestal gave way. :( No problem, I thought, I could spend some time abrading it completely and then glue it back to its base. 

Well, just as I was doing that on top of my blast box, the little roller... rolled away... off the box and somewhere in the nearby vicinity. Stupid me had been keeping bins of spare prep material and stuff that needed to be sifted through before pitching. I searched each bin one tiny piece at a time -- no bug. It did, however, force me to actually go through the bins and toss away a lot of junk.

I pulled everything out of the prep area and swept up, looking everywhere. I even checked the laundry room (the second door to that is next to my prep area) in case it rolled under the door. Gone. 

Frustrated, tired, and now with a clean prep area, I gave up hope of finding the little roller -- perhaps lost forever in the same place where socks lost in the dryer go...

IMG_5601.JPG

IMG_5602.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

Well, fast forward a few months to today and we're in a big spring cleaning blitz of rearranging shelving, tossing out junk. While Deb was cleaning out the laundry room, look who came back. :D 

Unfortunately, I've already tossed the pedestal rock, but this one is a perfect little roller. 

fullsizeoutput_512.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it doesn't, it never was.:thumbsu:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

@Kane's song

On top of the blast box my tools did rest

I lost my poor trilo when it fell into the mess

It rolled off the table and onto the floor

and then my poor trilo rolled right out the door

I thought it was gone and I was so sad

and then Deb made me so happy and glad

She had my lost trilo that I couldn't find

So I'll owe her forever but really don't mind