Kane's Bug Preps

Kane

Nice work my friend...... looks like you are enjoying the scribes.....much shinier than mine......

22 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Nice job!

Thanks! :) 

20 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

Nice work my friend...... looks like you are enjoying the scribes.....much shinier than mine......

And hopefully not too shiny for long if I can put them to serious work! :D 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Another pedestaled E. rana today, nearly finished. 

IMG_5921.JPG

fullsizeoutput_52c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_52d.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

An ambitious (and still not yet complete) prep job that has already clocked 15 hours. Found this one at Penn Dixie and kept it as the roller looked complete. A brach and a coral are peeking out. How it looked when I brought it home:

IMG_5890.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

While scribing along, two other trilobite rollers showed themselves. Reduced matrix using ME-9100, and scribed more precisely with the Aro. Middle bug lost some shell, so resto would come later. 

fullsizeoutput_52e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_52f.jpeg

I also decided to make it a true PD association, and took the time to prep the corals and the brach (yes, you heard that right :P ). I've mostly used baking soda for abrasion under the scope, but some dolomite was also used for the tougher spots. How tough? In some cases absolutely resistant to blasting at very high PSI, or even being scratched with a carbide needle. Some areas are just like iron for some strange reason. The middle bug alone had a tough crust right against the skin (in already an awkward angle), which took 3+ hours alone. 

To give a proper sense of perspective, this is not an association where everything is on the same horizon, but at different levels.

Almost done. Will reveal more of the brach, finer touches on the coral, finish up the last stubborn matrix on the bugs, and then the long process of smoothing out the matrix. 

IMG_5935.JPG

IMG_5936.JPG

IMG_5938.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

These are really cool Kane. I’m really looking forward to getting a lab set up

Preparing rotund rollers and pristine prones is lots of fun, but sometimes one needs a bit of a challenge. I picked up these two Eldredgeops rana from Penn Dixie knowing they would be awkward preps, likely folded over like a Devonian sandwich.

This is what they looked like initially:

IMG_5877.JPG

These are fairly thin pieces of shale, so scribing must be kept to a minimum and without too much vibration. As these are folded, it means the shell has numerous cracks, so even more care is needed to prevent losing shell bits. It will take longer than a nicely preserved bug, but sometimes preparing the odd duck with a bit of character is fun, too.

Tips for those who want to have a go with their awkwardly oriented, folded over bugs:

* Abrade at low pressure, and never against a crack in the shell.

* I only use baking soda on PD bugs; dolomite does not really eat through the matrix as fast anyway, and it can burn holes into your bug.

* Scribing and picking at a bare minimum. 

* Take it slow

* Avoid handling the bug itself while prepping it as the shell is fragile on the damaged areas

* Leave some of the matrix in the cracks as it may be all that is holding the broken bits together

Anyway, here they are. They just need one quick blast, but mainly done. They certainly have character, albeit very squished! I filed the underneath so that they will stand.

7D2397B4-BBCA-47EB-B61B-25AB0472107B.jpeg

EF6A7B35-16C5-4778-BE27-66457FCC26F6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

And how thin and folded over they are:

12F1E496-305C-4CB2-BDC8-35ADCA47F864.jpeg

Trilobites from a 2D universe... 

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

14 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

*devonian sandwich

Do these ever come with pickles?

Sadly, no. They come with corals, which are tough and fibrous; totally throws off a good sandwich texture. :P 

I've heard that the Devonian Twinkies are still as edible as the day they were produced. :blink::P

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks @ynot!

And now for a return engagement with a wee bug. Some tidying and matrix work:

IMG_5965.JPG

IMG_5966.JPG

And some closeups. Still some stubborn stuff in the cracks, though. But given how small it is (~1.7 cm), only the zoom shows it. :P 

P5240080.JPG

P5240082.JPG

P5240084.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

19 hours ago, Kane said:

Sadly, no. They come with corals, which are tough and fibrous; totally throws off a good sandwich texture. :P 

Fiber is supposed to be good for you, but somehow I don't think this type would qualify. :unsure:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

• 2 weeks later...

Another pedestaled bug, and one that I figured would not have its pygidium... although it turns out it does, albeit very much impacted.

P6040090.JPG

P6040092.JPG

Since I have so many rollers, I wanted to engage in a bit more of a risky, daredevil-ish style prep by cutting in deeper on the ventral side. I've completely exposed the doublure and much of the impacted pygidium. Going in search of the rest of the disarticulated pygidium will not work unless I can strongly stabilize the "overhang" of the thoracic segments. Photos do not justice on just how deep I made this cut. Sorry for the particles of dirt -- I accidentally used a dirty brush to remove the blasting powder. :DOH:

Sadly, the hypostome would be tucked underneath the pygidium (part of it is visible in the last picture). I was going to keep scooping until I hit the ventral side of the cephalon, but the angle was getting too awkward to work. 

My next risky adventure will be to see if I can do a partial dorsal + ventral prep. 

P6040096.JPG

P6040098.JPG

P6040100.JPG

Decided to fool around with a tiny PD prone that had some problems, and would be a B-grade bug. Here is a picture of it from the top. It measures a diminutive 1.7 cm. 

But wait, there's more...

P6050104.JPG