Kane's Bug Preps

Kane

I love these progress posts. :wub: that’s a very pretty bug you’ve got there. Well done!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

1 hour ago, Raggedy Man said:

Great job Kane!!:fistbump:

Thanks, Paul!  I know you've a keen eye for nice bugs. :) 

1 hour ago, Innocentx said:

Bravo!!!!!

My thanks! :) 

1 hour ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

I love these progress posts. :wub: that’s a very pretty bug you’ve got there. Well done!

It is a bit like the math teacher says in grade school: always show your work. :D Hopefully it is helpful for those who are considering doing prep on their own; I know I've gained a great deal of help and knowledge in reading the detailed posts of our expert preparators here. :) 

I might be able to sneak in one last prep for 2018. A much smaller job, but may as well keep going while the compressor is still warm. :P 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

A++

Gold star for the day!

Excellent work, K-man. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Russia is on my bucket list for sure, but being realistic, I'll never go. Its nice to dream aye? Lol Now Canada...ezpz lol. Would love a crack at some of those yummy Ceraurus and Isotelus! lol

...I'm back.

12 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

Russia is on my bucket list for sure, but being realistic, I'll never go. Its nice to dream aye? Lol Now Canada...ezpz lol. Would love a crack at some of those yummy Ceraurus and Isotelus! lol

Maybe 2019 will be your year to come join us up north? That would be great!

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

A++

Gold star for the day!

Excellent work, K-man. 

Thanks, Tim! I know of another earlier attempt I gave someone I wish I could do over with what I know now. ;)

3 hours ago, Kane said:

Maybe 2019 will be your year to come join us up north? That would be great!

That would be epic! I'll have to see what my tax returns say. Supposedly, I get a bigly return, but we'll see. Though im sure if I tie it into a Penn Dixie trip it would work...lol. 

...I'm back.

Not worth a separate thread, but did my last prep for 2018: a nice Flexicalymene croneisi that Deb found in October and that I promised to clean up. Before and after pics. Still a bit damp and dusty, so the white stuff is dolomite that I can blow off. The detail is quite good, but the iPad is not so great on macros. :P 

686DD78B-01D1-4768-8A27-2CAA0FF9D751.jpeg

FEAD9249-1BDC-4AC4-96A9-784AF467ADA0.jpeg

43A8FEFF-352A-446B-984B-706943FDE599.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

This being my second attempt at restoration, I still have a lot to learn. I thought I'd showcase my attempt here as I continue to practice and (hopefully) improve my skills.

The trilobite selected for this attempt is a common Eldredgeops rana from Penn Dixie. I have tons of these common ones, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I botched it. This one came out of some harder Windom matrix, and a lot of the left side and pygidium were lost. It also is an unattractive specimen on account of it having a bit too much "character" (i.e., serious crush damage, twisted, and as if stepped on by some Devonian boot). Both genals are folded underneath, the whole bug lists to one side, and the glabella is crushed. 

In other words, a perfect candidate for a resto attempt. Here is roughly how it looked before I took on this task:

IMG_5582.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Applying and carving the Milliput is not terribly easy... Especially for me without a lot of finer tools, and big clumsy fingers. I applied and gave it a "draft" carving before letting it cure overnight:

IMG_5585.JPG

IMG_5586.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

And here it is in its imperfect glory. I would try to blend the putty with the bug better had I the right tiny tools to do so (it isn't a very large trilobite to begin with). 

I figure with better tools, and another ten times of practice, I should get the hang of this.

IMG_5588.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

While I had the compressor going, I was also working on this incomplete Leviceraurus mammiloides for more practice. This would be my first attempt at one of these "zipper bugs." Before and after: 

IMG_5234.JPG

IMG_5590.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

Lastly, a quick abrasion session with a Mucrospirifer thedforensis(?) with the long tips. These appear as grey as the matrix they come out of. Before and after:

IMG_4861.JPG

IMG_5589.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

I think the Eldredgeops is pretty darned good for a first attempt.

And the Leviceraurus has turned out beautifully. 

The brachiopod is rather lovely too! :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks, Adam. :) I figured you might be slightly partial to the brach. :D 

Like Adam said, very good for a first attempt. You just need to get some fine little tools now. The other 2 things are excellent. Love those stealth bomber brachs.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

This is all really cool stuff if you ask me.  Nice brach too.  I dont think ive ever said that before?  

RB

Thanks, all :) 

Well, it was back to the bench again to try my hand at another trilobite. This one was worth the effort as it is a bit on the larger size for Penn Dixie (47 mm / 1.85"). When I initially found it... heartbreaker as it just happened to come out busted in half and missing some key shell components. :( 

Glued it together in the field, played around with it a few months ago, and decided to get back to it today. The usual scribing, abrasion, and much-needed restoration. Here's the before and after: 

fullsizeoutput_4c6.jpeg

IMG_5606.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Good job, K-man.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks, Tim :) 

Next task is Deb's find from the same trip that I prepped out a while ago. Looking at it now, I could do a much better job on it. Just need to get the excess rock trimmed with a saw this week, and it will be my Friday fun. At this rate, I just hope I have enough dolomite to last the winter. :blink:

Kane I have you on my list for the next dolomite run.........I am hoping that we get a warm snow free day in the coming month that we can make an excursion to our spot.... I am desperate to get out....anywhere......just way to many E. ranas waiting to prep (have a laundry basket and 2 buckets full in the other room as well)

ranas on pooltable.jpg

3 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Kane I have you on my list for the next dolomite run.........I am hoping that we get a warm snow free day in the coming month that we can make an excursion to our spot.... I am desperate to get out....anywhere......just way to many E. ranas waiting to prep (have a laundry basket and 2 buckets full in the other room as well)

I hear you on the E. ranas, although I don't have as many pristine ones left to prep (mostly rollers left, or ones with crush damage and other problems).

I'm also seeing that some kind of evil polar vortex is set to lock in next month and into March, which sucks. I'm also jonesing pretty bad for getting back out there... Even considering somehow getting to Maysville, KY over the February family day / reading week should anyone fancy a 9 hour road trip (and if that area is snow-free). It's going to be a loooong winter, my friend. :(