Kane's Bug Preps

Kane

Great work and beautiful looking bugs! Makes me really want to get my act together and find a way to prep here (between no real shop space and the cold, kinda limits my options til summer)

Thanks! The good thing about the cold is if it is also dry, which can cut down on the humidity. Hopefully you can get that shop up and running -- i recall you cleaned up at DSR (what now seems an eternity ago now!). 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Today was the last day at the bench before I have to put aside the tools for a few weeks on the missus' orders. 

I bounced between about eight different projects, just trying to tie up a few loose ends, probing other pieces, and trying to get ahead on some very long projects (the Terries). 

Anyhow, just a few bits to show. First up, progress so far on the cephalon of this very tiny (under a centimetre wide) and quite rare example of the encrinurid, Physemataspis pernodosusPC101017.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Another plate of Cincinnaticrinus. This is one of three on a large plate, but these guys are quite tiny! There are two main variations of the species: one with the longer arms as seen here, and one with stunted arms. The plate (Neuville Formation) has both variations, which is pretty cool. I know someone who is currently researching this very question as to what accounts for the short/long arms.

PC101019.jpeg

As I was probing this very slab, just about a centimetre to the left, a little surprise: 

PC101023.jpeg

If my trilobite instincts are correct, this is a broken, 2 mm(!) example of the hypostome of Hypodicranotus striatulus. I've wanted to find one for some time (albeit preferably complete!), so this was a fantastic surprise! The hypostome for this species runs just about the entire length of the body, making this one truly stand out in the annals of trilobite lore. :D 

A diagram of what it looks like complete in relation to the body (image courtesy of the University Museum at the University of Tokyo): 

en_tokyou_fig04.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

All your preps are looking [Billy Crystal voice] marvelous [/Billy Crystal voice]!  :wub: :wub: :wub:  Can you say who is working on the Cincinnaticrinus?  I think there is someone here in Georgia, at the university in Columbus I think, who is revising the group.  It'll be nice to have some current work done as there are several very similar genera and I struggle to tell them apart.  Often they need to be exposed in the right orientation to see the anal plate.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

I'll ask if the person studying these would be ok with me spreading the name! I'll still need to follow the stem all the way back, so that will be a nice winter project. I'll likely end up donating all of them if they will help. The Ectenocrinus are common as dirt, but these are a bit more harder to find!

I forgot about this mystery fragment. From the Bobcaygeon Fm, and only about 1.5 cm on its longest width. There's sadly nothing more to it, but it looks lichid. I want to say Hemiarges, but that might just be me being hopeful!

IMG_8781.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

On 12/10/2020 at 11:43 AM, Kane said:

As I was probing this very slab, just about a centimetre to the left, a little surprise: 

PC101023.jpeg

If my trilobite instincts are correct, this is a broken, 2 mm(!) example of the hypostome of Hypodicranotus striatulus. I've wanted to find one for some time (albeit preferably complete!), so this was a fantastic surprise! The hypostome for this species runs just about the entire length of the body, making this one truly stand out in the annals of trilobite lore. :D 

Congrats on the awesome find!! 

Ok, just one more batch before I make a nuisance of myself in this thread. :P  

This is phase one of doing the matrix shaping on this fourplex Greenops widderensis I was lucky to find about three years ago. I had initially prepped it with a Dremel engraver ( :DOH: ), which left very deep and ugly grooves (gouges, more like). Phase one is using the fine scribe to smooth those into the matrix and prepare for the many hours of abrasion.IMG_8782.jpg

And this big Asaphus lepidurus was filled with mistakes and leftover grit. Just one more pass with abrasion until absolutely all grit is gone, and remove the tool marks, and it will be lovely:

IMG_8786.jpg

IMG_8787.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

Ok, just one more batch before I make a nuisance of myself in this thread. :P 

This is your thread do whatever you want, and we all enjoy watching preps

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

2 hours ago, Kane said:

Thanks! The good thing about the cold is if it is also dry, which can cut down on the humidity. Hopefully you can get that shop up and running -- i recall you cleaned up at DSR (what now seems an eternity ago now!). 

That was a while ago! And my last trilobite finds :Horrified: Unfortunately none of my bugs were full AND prone. My Dipleura is closest but has cephalon folded under. Only other full ones are rolled. Sure hope I can go back some day.

Love watching this prep series!

Extra innings at the bench due to the missus getting called into work.

IMG_8523.jpgIMG_8524.jpg

This split had trilobite shell on both halves, so a glue job and prep from the top.

And so, it's "follow the leader," Gravicalymene edition. :P Pity about all the disarticulation, but that's just the way they drop sometimes. 

IMG_8788.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Cool piece, you did a great prep

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Thanks, gents. :) 

Managed to finish up, start, or continue about six other projects today. It's been an assembly line of a week!

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Give me missus of Kane's phone number and I'll keep calling her into work. :P

:heartylaugh:

Looks great! I especially love that gravicalymene association! 

Can't wait to see how that greenops plate looks all cleaned up :popcorn:

Certainly quite a few projects.  I know the feeling.   and working on things that measure 2 mm's!   Not for me sir.  Way too small for me.   but can I make a suggestion with your Greenops widderensis piece?  Ok, here goes.   What about smoothing out the rock with a little grinder and then using your air scribe and very carefully work around the trilo's making kind of a circle around them?   I wish I had a photo to show you but cant find it.  It would take the eye to the fossils and away from the rock.  Not sure If I explained this very good.   But anyways,  the very best to you and your rocks.

RB

• I found this Informative 3

46 minutes ago, RJB said:

Certainly quite a few projects.  I know the feeling.   and working on things that measure 2 mm's!   Not for me sir.  Way too small for me.   but can I make a suggestion with your Greenops widderensis piece?  Ok, here goes.   What about smoothing out the rock with a little grinder and then using your air scribe and very carefully work around the trilo's making kind of a circle around them?   I wish I had a photo to show you but cant find it.  It would take the eye to the fossils and away from the rock.  Not sure If I explained this very good.   But anyways,  the very best to you and your rocks.

RB

That's a fantastic suggestion! All I now need is to get myself a grinder (I've been keeping my eyes peeled for one). Maybe Santa is getting me one? I've dropped a few hints to the missus who apparently has Santa on speed dial. :D 

1 minute ago, Kane said:

All I now need is to get myself a grinder

I use a Foredom but an inexspensive dremel will do the exact same thing.  I also use those little aluminum oxid wheels to smooth some rock. 

RB

MVC-025S.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

I have a mini one of those, but oddly all the bits for the larger one. The wee one just doesn't have the right oomph! 

• 1 month later...

I recently acquired six unprepared Russian trilobites at bulk pricing. I purposely turned down any Asaphus lepidurus as I've prepared enough of those already! 

This would be my first Asaphus latus to prepare. These wide boys are similar in many ways to the other Russian asaphids, but they are more stout. 

So here we go...

IMG_8893.jpeg

After about an hour of scribing all the bulk matrix, and another half hour of abrasion, the progress:

IMG_8898.jpeg

Just under two hours of finesse abrasion, and the finished product:

IMG_8900.jpeg

The holochroal eyes are perfect with visible lenses, too. This job would have taken twice as long with my previous tools. Due to some running cracks in the shell, extra care had to be taken in some areas. And, to my credit, not a single scribe ding on the shell, which is a great first for me when prepping the Russian bugs. This might be a shelf-sitter. 

• I found this Informative 9