Kane's Bug Preps

Kane

And a group shot of all six. 

Now it is back to my regular prep queue!

7548555F-787B-45E4-B052-22F42AF18D2C_1_201_a.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7
  • Enjoyed 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

4 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Very cool! Ever thought of making a Babuschka out of some them?

:D 

A nesting doll sequence would definitely work here. :P 

• I found this Informative 1

51 minutes ago, Kane said:

:D 

A nesting doll sequence would definitely work here. :P 

I dunno.. the chubby one might get stuck. :zzzzscratchchin:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Great trilos, as always. Browsing your thread always makes me want to up my prep game. One of these days...

19 hours ago, jeannie55 said:

They are bugs, aren’t they?

Jeannie55, you may already know this, but to clarify for any new person wondering...

No. Technically these are trilobites (animals from the class Trilobita) and thus are not bugs or insects, but they superficially resemble them so many collectors commonly refer to them as “bugs”. They are in the same phylum as insects (Arthropoda), but this large phylum consist of many animals.

I admit that it’s bad form for us collectors to use the term “bug” as it is a misnomer, and can cause confusion, but old habits are hard to break. I call them bugs all the time. Plus it’s quicker to type. ;) 

I imagine @FossilDAWG could explain further if needed, being the bug guru that he is. :) 

• I found this Informative 7

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

"Bug" is definitely an affectionate colloquialism we use to refer to trilobites, although it is good to be mindful of maintaining accuracy for those outside our close and insular circle of trilobitophiles! :P:D 

For those wanting a great entree to the world of these critters, I highly recommend Sam Gon III's site, trilobites.info, as well as some very good introductory books by Fortey, Levi-Setti et al (and for more "in the weeds" information, Treatise O: Arthropoda with its focus on trilobitomorpha and Trilobita is an essential resource :trilosurprise:). 

• I found this Informative 5

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Love the group shot. 

Super bunch of bugs, wonderfully prepped. Points.gif.f542ca2590fa16e051bc73e873c4b6bd.gif

I agree! :DittoSign:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

• 2 weeks later...

While still buried under snow, I cannot resist the temptation of the postal formation to add a few more projects. 

I bought four unprepared trilobites, and the first one arrived recently. It was also the one I had the most doubts about it being complete. 

IMG_8949.jpeg

It's a classic Okie bug. But which one of the phacopids would it be? Only revealing the eyes will say.

IMG_8950.jpeg

At this point, much of the work is done. Scribe work is done with a Pferd, which has become my absolute most favourite scribe for detail work. The rest is all abrasion using pure dolomite. 

Please pardon the crummy photos in crummy lighting, but this one is done. It is complete, and has its pygidium tucked underneath. The eyes give it away: a Kainops. The lighting throws up the illusion of matrix in the cracks, but it is pretty much all cleared out.

IMG_8951.jpeg

IMG_8952.jpeg

IMG_8953.jpeg

IMG_8954.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 5

Another nice prep job Kane! Not a bad way to pass the time waiting on the snow to melt. :) 

Thanks, Wayne! I didn't leave much matrix left. :P But now is the waiting game... Which will come first? Completion of the preps or spring? Ideally, the first field day will coincide with the last of the projects completed. :D 

12 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thanks, Wayne! I didn't leave much matrix left. :P But now is the waiting game... Which will come first? Completion of the preps or spring? Ideally, the first field day will coincide with the last of the projects completed. :D 

The timing of prep work end with the beginning of the spring hunt would indeed be ideal, but I’m looking forward to warmer weather.

I say bring on spring! The prep work can wait till next winter! :D 

• I Agree 1

I got this Calymene breviceps yesterday. These used to be quite easy to acquire, but accessible outcrops of the Waldron shale are nowhere like in the old days. Having never worked on Waldron material before, it was pretty fun and somewhat easy to work with. 

The trilobite in its natural state:

IMG_8959.jpeg

This was mostly a dolomite job, although this one appears on a very thin flake of shale (some of the trilobite was visible on the other side). I did some precautionary stabilizing on the ventral side. Being so thin with pleural tips poking out the other side, not much of the original shale was left. Missing some cheek, but otherwise a complete and neat looking little trilo (2.9 cm).

Finished product: 

IMG_8965.jpeg

IMG_8966.jpeg

IMG_8967.jpeg

• Enjoyed 8

• 2 weeks later...

They can't all be winners. I had high hopes for this one, but this one turned out a disappointment. 

Initially sold as a Hollardops, I knew it was likely a Metacanthina on the basis of the long, pointy lappets. Its initial state:

IMG_8971.jpeg

Tough Moroccan material, so I knew what to expect. It also wasn't clamped together all that well, so there were some gaps with missing bits. And then my favourite detail scribe's stylus shattered. And I need to be able to push dolomite through a much smaller orifice than 18 gauge to get all the rest, or risk wearing down the segments. :( 

IMG_8983.jpeg

I just couldn't take this one much further. I did some tasteful tiny resto (crack-filling). 25 hours. Small consolation is that it looks better in person than photographed. Oh well -- live and learn!

• Enjoyed 7

Thanks, Malcolm. :) It makes me feel a bit better. I still have plenty to learn, and I need to rethink some of the tools and tactics. :b_wdremel:

On 2/22/2021 at 8:08 AM, Kane said:

This was mostly a dolomite job

Turned out wonderful, I do love the breviceps. 

What PSI, did you use for this one?

Looks pretty darn good from where I'm standing, Kane!

Well done.  :) 

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks, Tim. :) (But I promise to do better next time!)

@Huntonia -- It's a bit tricky to say because I have an air leak that I can't quite fix with my clumsy fingers, so I tend to go 10-20 PSI over to get 10-20 less. I would say about 40 PSI, and dialling down to about 25 around the more delicate spots.

• I found this Informative 1

15 minutes ago, Kane said:

Small consolation is that it looks better in person than photographed

It looks good photographed, not all are perfect but this one is still good.Don't compare it with your other finished preps, compare it to how you got it and that is a fantastic transformation

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

These are all tough bugs to prep compared to the softer limestone matrix of the trilos we generally find in Kane's neck of the woods

• I Agree 1