Kane's Bug Preps

Kane

2 hours ago, Kane said:

And, done. Almost all scribing with only some light abrasion at the end, followed by applying a bit of locktite to strengthen the shell.

Unreal, Kane, simply unreal. Superb job as always! 

I really gotta get me some of those newfangled air tools, I'm with Adam here, I'm a solely needle work kinda guy, with the occasional Dremel for tough stuff ;)

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Thanks. :) I forgot to mention that I did use at least one non-air tool -- an exacto blade for some sticky calcite. :D 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 minute ago, FossilDAWG said:

Your collection of "bugs" must be getting to be pretty extensive

I never thought about that - may we see the warehouse, @Kane:BigSmile:

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Very nice...you'll be putting me out of business with work like that. Hmmm... maybe I should hold this plate of yours hostage!!!!!

Thanks, all. :) Surprisingly, it only took me about 2.5 hours when these usually take me a bit longer.

Oh, no, no, @Malcolmt -- No one could put you out of business. And that plate is sacred now! :D 

• I Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Getting the tools broken in before November becomes Snowvember. 

This scrappy little Ceraurus I found in Quebec back in June is missing its eyes and its tail spines. I picked it up for practice. 

IMG_9342.jpeg

Despite missing some vital parts, still an okay bug with some cute brach stowaways. About an hour, and not too tough a job.

IMG_9803.jpeg

I don't have a "before" image of this one from northern Ontario, but I picked it up because it seemed a bit different than the typical Rielaspis cf. elegantula. My hunch was correct. The twin caudal spines say this pygidium belongs to a Distyrax sp.. I picked up a few genal spines of this one as well that still need some quick abrasion. 

IMG_9806.jpeg

• Enjoyed 11

18 minutes ago, Kane said:

Getting the tools broken in before November becomes Snowvember. 

This scrappy little Ceraurus I found in Quebec back in June is missing its eyes and its tail spines. I picked it up for practice. 

IMG_9342.jpeg

Despite missing some vital parts, still an okay bug with some cute brach stowaways. About an hour, and not too tough a job.

IMG_9803.jpeg

I don't have a "before" image of this one from northern Ontario, but I picked it up because it seemed a bit different than the typical Rielaspis cf. elegantula. My hunch was correct. The twin caudal spines say this pygidium belongs to a Distyrax sp.. I picked up a few genal spines of this one as well that still need some quick abrasion. 

IMG_9806.jpeg

This turned out beautiful! Like a bumble bee of the sea covered in leaves :SunFace:. I’m a sucker for these active scenes. 

Thanks, gents. :) I also wanted to bang these b-grade bugs out so that I can shift them out of the (very cluttered) prep area. 

@Malcolmt -- Yup, and it is odd that more of those pieces were starting to crop up the more times I revisited that place. I have seen a complete one, but alas it is not mine. :(

Some more stuff that is close to getting shifted out. 

This one is very small and very thin-skinned. I may just put this one aside until I get a much better abrasion system. 

D7390374-3182-451B-9AFA-DCAAE08AC0A5.jpeg

• Enjoyed 7

This is a puffy Ceraurus, made more so by the fact that the cephalon and pygidium are tucking into the matrix. It has problems, such as some compression and crush damage on the glabella. A lot more on that one to do! :b_wdremel:

F365E8CF-3FA0-446C-A861-F1D1303E3B7F.jpeg

081312A9-19F4-401A-8BFB-F401991B28D1.jpeg

• Enjoyed 7

To my shame and chagrin, I have yet to find a complete Cryptolithus. So, I fall back on preparing the best examples I can find. In this case, a neat optical illusion. This was just a faint outline when found, but I prepared the whole thing ventrally -- mostly to continue getting my practice preparing in that orientation. Slightly different techniques apply. And with just a shifting of the light, it looks dorsal. 

F6A014F1-7E03-40CA-ADE3-1E5457212301.jpeg

64E40001-7070-4F4A-8FDE-687BF3D19BCF.jpeg

• Enjoyed 8

Another of the b-grade Ceraurus from La Belle Province. This one is missing a cheek, an eye, and apparently has mismatched sized pygidial spines. Still, a fairly good-sized example from the area that could use just a few more fine abrasive puffs to finish. 

26669F7D-3387-4660-A385-A78D98FCC17D.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

Awesome work on the latest preps Kane!

That first "scrappy little Ceraurus" turned out great given the condition. The brachiopods on top kind of make up for the trilobite.

That's a cool illusion with the Cryptolithus. A few times in the fossil ID the same thing has tripped me up.

• Thank You 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Nice job on those bugs!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work. :)

Edited by fossilhunter21
  • Thank You 1

Man I haven't checked this thread in too long! Incredible work Kane, on all these Canadian bugs and the latest Illaenids! I'm honestly baffled at how perfectly you're able to get every last bit of matrix off those Russian bugs, absolutely gorgeous! 

These Ceraurus are also looking amazing! I really love the look of the one with the brach stowaways :wub:

As for the one with the mismatched pygidial spines, isn't that usually a sign of healed injury? 

• Thank You 1

I know it means the fossil season is coming to a close, but it’s great to see all the new goodies coming out of your prep lab. 

Even though it’s not complete, and you only picked it up for practice, I’m fond of the CeraurusI’m a sucker for fossils with hitchhikers and stowaways.

Great job! Can’t wait to see what comes next. :b_wdremel:

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Thanks all. :) It does indeed mean that the fossil season is drawing to a close, but I am not sure if I have enough good material to get through the long winter! At the very least, I should have a few more Ceraurus kicking around, and a few encrinurids...

The fossil season barely began this year. I figure I will have anything that I found that was worth prepping done by Xmas. I then probably have about 100 hours of material to prep that I acquired from our friend in the hinterland. After that I may just have to open up the valves on the prep for others again.

Been awhile since ive checked out this thread.   I have to say that I'm quite amazed at not only the super cool bugs you have but your prep work too!   Also, I think now I might understand the meaning of 'b-grade'.  Those last few bugs look AWESOME to me.  Especially the one with the little bivalves on it.  Just super cool! 

RB

• Thank You 1