Kane's Bug Preps

Kane

And just to show some of the planning process, getting the dimensions right will be essential when I reconstruct the pygidium. 

I am using Rudkin and Tripp's work on I. gigas.

IMG_0502.jpeg

Rudkin, D.M., Tripp, R.P. (1988) The Type Species of the Ordovician Trilobite Genus Isotelus: I. gigas Dekay, 1824. Royal Ontario Museum.

When I pull this taught across the cephalon (it kind of flops a bit here, but not by much at all), it measures approximately 5.5 inches, so going for the easy average of assuming 50% for the ratio of cephalic width to full dorsal length, the full length should be about 11 inches along the sagittal, tip to tip. 

IMG_0501.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 8

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

11 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That is a beast!!!!!!!

I'm just doing some finishing touches today, so I plan to reveal later this morning. :) I just have to remove some Bondo from where I was performing necessary restoration, and some tool mark removal. 

Ok, show time. I will show some of the process here, which was far more involved than any other prep I've ever done. But, after 100 hours in the last few weeks, I am feeling comfortable with where it is despite its many flaws. It is big and ugly, just like me! :D 

First up, the cramped, cluttered, filthy place where the "magic" happens:

9E5FEF97-17BA-42AD-A927-DFB6C2120371.jpeg

13DEB923-F7C6-4216-96FF-C12C2DDC92B9.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

This chonk was missing some pieces, some of which had to be reconstructed from scratch -- something I've never really done to this extent before. 

As most of the pleurae on one side were missing, I needed to build those. Milliput is not cheap, so in order to do a build, I needed a cheaper option for creating a base upon which to apply the Milliput, so on the advice of a prep expert, I got some Bondo:

IMG_0504.jpeg

Once the Bondo had hardened, I applied the Milliput and got out the carving tools and sandpaper of differing grit. With the aid of a lot of photos and diagrams, I got to it.

IMG_0507.jpeg

This is the rough setting of the pleurae before more shaping, carving and sanding:

IMG_0505.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

Similar was done for the pygidium as well, but I neglected to take photos of that stage of the process.

I had one prep expert tell me the bug was pretty much hopeless, but I was determined to push through this St Jude of a prep anyway. Final stages involved removal of excess Bondo, sanding, and the application of fixatives on account of the shockingly poor preservation as the shell was very flaky. In some instances, I had to fill in some areas with Milliput. 

The anterior part of the glabella had to be reconstructed on account of it being shifted and displaced, so I used the Camera Obscura app to plot the "footprint" upon which to properly place and rebuild that. The cheeks needed work as well. Sadly, the one cheek is bashed in at quite an angle, and although I toyed with the thought of simply reconstructing the whole thing from scratch, I opted to keep it in the original form so as not to have creep issues with proportions on the rest of the trilobite. 

I am not all that gifted in carving, so apologies if some of this looks... offensive! 

The number and variety of tools and accessories used could fill a page. 

FAD0E3F6-6F30-47EC-89FD-E70F278557FE.jpeg

157788D8-104D-427C-B512-723CC631DDCB.jpeg

BBD6BCAA-A7A1-4CEF-A024-8A122463EA50.jpeg

64C689B2-91EB-4A85-A2D6-F8DC00D53F9E.jpeg

C636D58D-A3C0-45D2-814D-24337235ABB4.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

So, an 11 inch Isotelus gigas, at least 30% restored. This gives a sense of where I started...

IMG_9389.jpeg

And where it finished a year later:

IMG_0518.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

Good job. It is definitely big and ugly but that's not offensive to those of us who could reasonably be described as such. :P Well done on a project that I would have likely abandoned.

• Thank You 1

Nice job! The prep and the resto look very good. With the 11 inch I. gigas done you should go find and prep a 22 inch I. rex now. :trilosurprise:

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

8 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

Nice job! The prep and the resto look very good. With the 11 inch I. gigas done you should go find and prep a 22 inch I. rex now. :trilosurprise:

Hehe... Well, that would be a dream. Now, if only to get to northern Manitoba and be legally allowed to collect one. :D :P 

5 minutes ago, Kane said:

Hehe... Well, that would be a dream. Now, if only to get to northern Manitoba and be legally allowed to collect one. :D :P 

Are there no accessible rexes in Ontario?

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

7 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

Are there no accessible rexes in Ontario?

No, I don't think so, or they haven't been reported yet. There is some speculation of one area in Ontario where they seem very similar among what have been classed as the "arctic fauna," but they only come out fragmentary and it is entirely conjecture at this point. :( 

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

No, I don't think so, or they haven't been reported yet. There is some speculation of one area in Ontario where they seem very similar among what have been classed as the "arctic fauna," but they only come out fragmentary and it is entirely conjecture at this point. :( 

If you can't do a rex, I guess you need to find a record breaker I. gigas. I'll be looking forward to seeing your next prep no matter what it is.

Awesome stuff! I'm not usually one for restoration, but, hey, that was masterfully done, superb specimen, done more justice than anyone else could! Love it

• Thank You 1

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

24 minutes ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

Awesome stuff! I'm not usually one for restoration, but, hey, that was masterfully done, superb specimen, done more justice than anyone else could! Love it

Thanks! All my veteran prep friends said they would have abandoned this long ago, but the size alone warranted the effort. As context, we have virtually no sites to collect big Isotelus any more due to quarry restrictions. Once upon a time, big bugs like these were for the taking, but the salad days are sadly behind us now. I feel lucky to find anything even remotely approximating those great days, even if it requires a lot of resto to bring it up to snuff. Most of our giants now are just isolated pygidia in long weathered road cuts. My piece will never sit in a museum, but it will occupy a place of pride in the collection, acting as a testament to what once was. :) 

• Enjoyed 2

11 hours ago, Kane said:

Thanks! All my veteran prep friends said they would have abandoned this long ago, but the size alone warranted the effort. As context, we have virtually no sites to collect big Isotelus any more due to quarry restrictions. Once upon a time, big bugs like these were for the taking, but the salad days are sadly behind us now. I feel lucky to find anything even remotely approximating those great days, even if it requires a lot of resto to bring it up to snuff. Most of our giants now are just isolated pygidia in long weathered road cuts. My piece will never sit in a museum, but it will occupy a place of pride in the collection, acting as a testament to what once was. :) 

Indeed! A time once forgotten, remembered again, and forgotten once more!

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

While I wait for some material to arrive, no sense leaving the box idle. I’ve taken this one up in the interim and made some minor headway today. It’s a multi-plate of Ceraurus pleurexanthemus (about 5 or so individuals) from the Rust-Walcott quarry. This is a special piece as it was initially found by Thomas Whiteley, and so much more care and slower progress is essential. 

One of the wee ones (barely 4mm long) is nearly done. The bigger one has been more the focus of today, and the genals are soon to be revealed.

The plate itself is mostly composed of juveniles with the largest specimen occupying the exact centre of the piece. The tiny ones need exacting patience and low PSI or they will blow right off. The matrix cannot be underestimated -- although the topmost is sandy and abrades away easily, the underlying material is a bit tougher, and occasionally challenging to distinguish between the trilobite and the rock under the scope and lighting conditions.

5F9B8558-B4B2-463F-849B-EB1FCAF8F858.jpeg

EFC20727-0649-4187-B0B6-2C92FEDC8F04.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

Looks clean so far!
image.png.932911ce38bba16dec78e2e4d43aec0e.png
Is this a crinoid? Or do I need my eyes tested... :look:

24 minutes ago, Kane said:

It is a crinoid, but sadly just a stem. 

Dang! Still neat to see an association. :)

• I Agree 1

An update on that plate after this morning. A lot more work to go, but coming along. 

Here's the full plate:

4468FB5C-143E-4BA4-AF52-071353CC96A7.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

It may not be as stunning a piece aesthetically for a multi-plate on account of the tiny ones that are difficult to see unless looking carefully. I don't discount the possibility more may be found on this plate, and I will get to probing after a bit more prep of the visible ones.

Seven individuals in all, in different states of quality. Closeups of the ones in process:

DCC03C0B-77DD-4135-84B2-81E80F642689.jpeg

B0E46981-3DC3-4EE7-93E7-2BD484E18AEF.jpeg

B0DCA3B7-1627-40AC-8997-C63ABB950D1A.jpeg

FA459AAE-02BD-4D3C-B109-BA12814C417B.jpeg

4071B654-76F1-409E-BF8B-E9DAD9E9F836.jpeg

3F801DE8-B69E-490E-BCEE-B4867E3D3C31.jpeg

• Enjoyed 7

Looking good! It’s always a thrill to see what associations pop out of these plates- mystery around every abrasion! 

I’ll always wonder if this guy was taking a nap under the shade a crinoid when mudslide struck…

C7328D97-D522-4CE1-A3A8-3C2103FE44DB.jpeg

Edited by NoahW24
  • I Agree 1

I'm with Noah, abrasives are amazing!

It's still a pretty gorgeous piece, Kane, like a Ceraurus p. graveyard of sorts, some more broken up than others! Reminds me of a scrapyard... :BigSmile: 

Are you going to go the mile to make these ones fly, too? :Jumping:

10 minutes ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

I'm with Noah, abrasives are amazing!

It's still a pretty gorgeous piece, Kane, like a Ceraurus p. graveyard of sorts, some more broken up than others! Reminds me of a scrapyard... :BigSmile: 

Are you going to go the mile to make these ones fly, too? :Jumping:

No, I don't think these ones will take well to be in a flying position. :P 

As for completion, I did more work on it this afternoon -- they are all effectively complete, but two of them are partly enrolled/tucked. The specimen in the second image is confirmed as complete now minus a tiny chip out of its cephalon due to weathering. I may actually complete this one tomorrow, but will also perform a probing operation to determine if any others are concealed.

• Enjoyed 1