Big Brook - Theropod tooth?

BBrook

Pretty new to this.  Found this on my first look in the Big Brook in NJ.  Based on the even spaced serrations and the cracked enamel look, could this be a worn theropod tooth?  About the size of a quarter.  Thanks!

back_tooth.jpg

Front_1.jpg

Front_2.jpg

Front_size.jpg

Thanks!  New I couldn't get that lucky on the first try.  For my next trip outside of NJ I'll head down to south Carolina in August and try to find a meg.  If anyone has any advice for where to start looking I'm all ears.  :fingerscrossed:

4 hours ago, BBrook said:

Thanks!  New I couldn't get that lucky on the first try.  For my next trip outside of NJ I'll head down to south Carolina in August and try to find a meg.  If anyone has any advice for where to start looking I'm all ears.  :fingerscrossed:

If you are going all the way to SC, might I recommend taking US 13/US17?  Mid-way through NC you'll be 30 minutes from the Aurora Fossil Museum with its Lee Creek spoil piles outside. Too close to pass up!  Then 30 minutes south of there just outside and 1/0 mile north of New Bern is the Martin Marietta Clarks Quarry.  It has Eocene material.  There have been some real sweet C. auriculatus teeth from there as well as Great Whites

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

8 hours ago, hemipristis said:

It has Eocene material.  There have been some ......as well as Great Whites

Great white sharks are from late miocene (?) or earlier, not from eocene period.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Great white sharks are from late miocene (?) or earlier, not from eocene period.

Sorry, I should have been clearer.  The Plio-Pleistocene Chowan River Fm is exposed at the quarry as well, which produces the Great Whites. Also forgot to mention that the Oligocene Belgrade Fm is there.  The sporadic gray silty sand beds within the shell-moldix limestone produce some sweet C. angustidens (?) teeth as well as Notorhynchus sp. Coe shark teeth.

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana