Dogtooth

I'm about to go to Venice FL, hopefully will find some small shrimpers and maybe a few medium sized teeth :)

I know there aren't any gators in the ocean, but if I were to plan a trip to the Peace River or other similar locations --- would gators be a huge problem? I'm not from Florida, and I would really appreciate any advice on how to ward them away or avoid them in general (like what time they are most active, where to look before diving, etc).

Thanks!

I have been vacationing in Florida yearly for awhile. On each trip, I am guided up some waterways, into jungle like environments that most people would not go to. I have never seen a gator yet! With that said, some rivers are chalked full of them. The deeper holes of the river with sandy areas to sun themselves is, from my understanding, their natural areas to hang out. If searching in shallower areas, the likelihood of issues is remote. If you are diving, as you mention, I assume that it would be in the deeper water. The Peace River is traversed yearly by thousands of tourists without issue. Use common sense and you should have no fear.

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

Plenty folks here have first hand experience on the Peace (and they all are physically intact). However, 'gators are not a joke. Here is an article on the subject. Parenthetically, when i was searching an article to post I was a little surprised at the "smaller" gators implicated in real harm. My own personal guideline has been I did not mind being within snatching distance of SC 'gators 6 feet or less (for photography). I may revise my criteria. Good, luck have fun and heed the advice of the Peace River veterans. 

https://www.enjuris.com/blog/fl/alligators-attacks/

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

In 12 years of sifting for fossils in the Peace River, I've seen gators hauled up basking on the banks on sunny days but have only (knowingly) been in the water when I could see a gator nearby twice. In fact, the last time I was out checking a spot on the river I haven't hunted for several years, I spotted a sizeable gator in the water on the other side of the river in the water right along the bank. I sifted on my side of the river and a bit toward the middle for over half an hour and the gator barely moved. I kept my eye on where this feller was and I did wonder what he was up to when he submerged below the surface. He'd pop up in the same space every 5 to 10 minutes and paid me no mind whatsoever.

Others have inquired about gators in Florida and that is a sensible thing to do. The same way I might inquire about rattlesnakes our surface hunting in arid open parts of western Texas. Most fossil hunting locations don't come with toothy critters that you have to watch out for but I can say I've had more problems with ticks and likely been in more danger of slipping and falling in quarries or been cautious about hunting anywhere near the base of cliffs. Gators tend to hunt near dawn and dusk and are much more interested in smaller prey than big noisy humans. Stick to shallower parts of the river, don't go into deep "gator hole" sections of the river or play around near the roots of toppled trees (where lazy gators like to wedge themselves into while resting). I've never heard of any fossil hunter on the Peace River who has had a serious run-in with a gator.

If you are still uneasy and would enjoy a guide on your first outing for Florida fossil hunting in rivers, consider going with one of the guides who will take you out to a good spot, provide the gear you'll need, and be a wealth of information on Florida fossils--identifying all your finds. I've known Mark Renz at Fossil Expeditions for years (he's the one who showed me how to hunt fossils in Florida). I've heard good things about Fossil Funatics as well. You can easily find information on both using those company names or just searching for "florida fossil hunting". If you plan on visiting north central Florida, I'd steer you to Cris and Kyle @addicted2fossils as guides who can show you around that part of Florida. Here's a recent post from a happy hunter.

Now is an excellent time to go fossil hunting in South Florida. We waited (somewhat) patiently for the rains to stop and the river to drop so we could get in and hunt. The rains are starting to pick up again and it won't be long till official rainy (hurricane) season starts in June. The river is still in the zone--if you are heading down soon you'd be able to get in the river to hunt some Florida fossil goodness. This webpage (where I rent my canoes from) has a nice page to check the river level.

http://www.canoeoutpost.com/peace/showpage.asp?page=waterlevel

Hope you manage to make it out and find some fossils while you are here. Take some photos out in the field and post a trip report if you do. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

I wouldn't lose any hunting time worrying about gators on the Peace.... You may see some but they don't want anything to do with you. Normally the only time they cause trouble is when they're fed by people:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

1 hour ago, jcbshark said:

I wouldn't lose any hunting time worrying about gators on the Peace.... You may see some but they don't want anything to do with you. Normally the only time they cause trouble is when they're fed by people:)

Or in the breeding season in April and May . . . Or when there are hatchlings to protect later in the summer.  Don't ever assume that that 7-foot 'gator is not sizing you up as a meal or as a threat.  Splashing in the river, you are always relying on the odds that 99+% of the time you will be safe.

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I’ve heard people talk about bringing kazoos along with them to make a bunch of noise — so as long as you are splashing and making noise they won’t bother you?

I wouldn't rely on that as a deterrent--you may well encounter a gator on the river who is not fond of kazoos and attacks just to get some peace and quiet. :P Actually, if you spent the day on the river bleating on a kazoo, I'd be more worried about other folks on the river causing you harm. ;)

As Harry mentioned there are no absolutes but the past track record of fossil hunters in the river shows that the folks often overestimate the probability of truly rare occurrences. I've heard people who like to say when you step into the ocean--you step into the food chain. That may well be true but I've made thousands of dives and many (though not as many as I'd prefer) have been in the company of sharks. I stand a much higher chance of injury due to dive equipment malfunction or being injured in a car on the way to/from a dive than being bitten by a shark. It doesn't help that any shark attack will be not only reported (with glee) on the evening news but also be shared with all affiliates so that the top story on the evening news in Keokuk, Iowa will be someone bitten by a shark while wading offshore on some Florida beach.

Life carries risk--the trick is in knowing what you need to be concerned with and what is over-hyped. You can't remove all risk--and if you tried, life would hardly be worth living (there is risk every time you travel, every time you are in a public place, every time you meet or interact with others). Knowledge can help to mitigate risk. If you know April-May is breeding season for gators and they can be a bit edgy in groups where competition for mating may be at play, it would not be in your best interest to go jumping into canals where large gators are known to aggregate (and hunt). Of course, this being Florida, that is precisely what someone did in a "Hey, watch this!" moment a few years back. I hear the artificial limb is working quite well for him. :wacko:

Be safe. Be sensible. Be respectful. Be aware. But don't be overly put-off by concerns that may have a very low probability.

Cheers.

-Ken