Upper Devonian Fossil Guide?

Mediospirifer

Yesterday, I was participating in an Open House event with my local mineral club. I had a display of fossils, minerals, and American Indian artifacts from New York state, and found that the person assisting visitors at the door was sending all of the people who brought fossils in to my table.

This was lots of fun, but I rapidly discovered a problem with the two fossil guide books I own: while they both have a lot of information about Lower and Middle Devonian fossils, there wasn't enough breadth on Upper Devonian for me to really give a positive ID of anything found locally! The best I could manage was to point to a Middle Devonian species and say something like "The holes in your rock look a lot like the impressions that on of these brachiopods, Pseodoatrypa devoniana, might leave, but those were earlier and didn't get that big. I don't know what your fossils are other than something similar."

Can anyone recommend a good resource for Upper Devonian material? What I currently have are the two PRI publications on Devonian Fossils of New York (one by Linsley, the other by Wilson).

I echo your desire. I plan to do more Upper Devonian collecting when I retire, but one of the things that has held me back so far is the lack of ID help. I have some Upper Devonian brachiopods from PA and bivalves from Bumps Creek near Afton, N.Y. which I have not been able to ID yet. I do have an extensive article on Upper Devonian goniatites from New York.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey P said:

I echo your desire. I plan to do more Upper Devonian collecting when I retire, but one of the things that has held me back so far is the lack of ID help. I have some Upper Devonian brachiopods from PA and bivalves from Bumps Creek near Afton, N.Y. which I have not been able to ID yet. I do have an extensive article on Upper Devonian goniatites from New York.

I might be interested in a copy of that.

Looking at the Linsley book, there is a list of species with marks to indicate whether it extends into more than one time period. I see that Pseudoatrypa devoniana is marked as present in the Upper as well as the Middle Devonian!

Between that and the detailed descriptions in Halls Palaeontology of New York series, I could probably put together a reference. That would be more time-consuming than I really want to get into, and it would be worth it to me to find one already written!

There is a decent amount of info for upper Devonian in New York in Carl Wilson’s book and David linsleys book but compared to lower and middle Devonian I agree it’s a lot less...plus it’s specific to New York so that kinda makes it not helpful outside the state :blink:......

I've noticed that to, I tried to find some documentation on late devonian deposits in the US to compare with the Belgian fauna, but I didn't find a lot, although I had some papers on Cephalopods from NY.

maybe @doushantuo can help you on a few publication on this subject.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

brachiopodwisely speaking,the 1995 Bizarro revision of some Hamilton chonetoid brachiopods might be useful*:

*Memoires de Geologie,Lyon

If it's not out of print ,it might set you back (possibly more than about) 45 euro

from the abstract:

new species: Arcuaminetes n. gen., Klocinetes n. gen., Prachetes monicae n. gen., n. sp. et Montsenetes tarae n. sp., 

left in open nomenclature : Anoplia sp. et Retichonetes sp.

the publication took place under the guidance/aegis of Patrick Racheboeuf

• I found this Informative 1

meanwhile:

1415_Sartenaer.pdf

SARTENAER, P. 2014. Jacoburbirostrum, a new middle Famennian rhynchonellid (brachiopod) genus from southwestern
New York State. Bulletin of Geosciences 89(3), 607–616 (3 figures, 1 table). Czech Geological Survey, Prague.

or:

Sartenaer, P. (2014). Jacoburbirostrum, a new Famennian rhychonellid (brachiopod) genus from southwestern New York State. Bulletin of Geosciences, 89(3).

I take it Jeffrey P is referring to House and Kirchgasser?

• I found this Informative 1

this MIGHT be of some use(from the all brachiopod/all devonian issue :D)

app47-189.pdf

Day, J. and Over, D.J. 2002. Post−extinction survivor fauna from the lowermost Famennian of eastern North America.
Acta Palaeontologica Polonica 47 (2): 189–202.

(Day, J. and P. Copper (1998). Revision of the latest Givetian-Frasnian Atrypida (Brachiopoda) from central North America.Acta Palaeontologica Polonica, 43(2).

or even:

Devonian Brachiopods - North America

• I found this Informative 2

Those look interesting!

Thanks. I'll look through them and see what's there. The brachiopods resources in particular look useful. 

Maybe I'll assemble a folder of resources, with a master list of species and links to which references describe them.

2 hours ago, doushantuo said:

Devonian Brachiopods - North America

Is this a book? It's not a link, and I don't find this title in Google.

23 hours ago, doushantuo said:

If JeffreyP is NOT referring to it,here it is anyway

(about (,5 MB)

M. R. House and W. T. Kirchgasser

Bulletins of American Paleontology/Number 374, July 2008

Late Devonian Goniatites(Cephalopoda, Ammonoidea) from New York State

That's the one I tought about :D

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.