Belated trip report from Big Cedar Ridge near(ish) Worland, Wy

RandyB

Done posting for tonight. These are a good sampling of what we found though most will need some prep. Many have multiple layers of fossils and choosing the right layer to prep may make all the difference.

Thanks for the tour. Love the shot of the Devil's Tower.

My collecting method usually involves flat trays as I encounter fragile fossils/matrix more often than not, but I suppose it might not occur to some collectors without knowing ahead of time what the fossils/matrix are going to be like. Buckets are good for concretions and not much else. I've got a stripped-down baby buggy that I can lay about 3 beer flats in (or more if I can stack them, which depends on the terrain I have to cross, and the fossils collected), and also a flat wooden tray with rope handles that I can carry by hand across almost any terrain (as long as it's not miles!)

• I found this Informative 2

The info I had found on BCR was sketchy so I had no idea what collecting there was going to be like @Wrangellian.  Being relatively new to fossil hunting as a whole didnt help either as I had never, and still haven't, come across matrix that was as soft as what we experienced at this site.  Luckily most of our finds survived my hamhanded handling relatively intact and one of the best pieces was actually found when I was splitting a chunk down to take pictures for this post.  Makes me wonder what else is in there and made me grateful I didnt try to split it in the field. Now that its dry the material its easier to handle though still soft.

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

Love the shot of the Devil's Tower

Love the plant material!! Looks like a wonderful vacation. You are missing the photograph of the view from atop Devil's Tower. Or are you telling me the owner of the Bed and Breakfast didn't convince you into rock climbing the tower???

@minnbuckeye we were only at the tower for a day so Frank didn't have time to talk us into climbing (not that he and his merry band of crazies didn't try).  I did tell my wife I would like to go back and do it next year for my half century mark.

3 minutes ago, RandyB said:

@minnbuckeye we were only at the tower for a day so Frank didn't have time to talk us into climbing (not that he and his merry band of crazies didn't try).  I did tell my wife I would like to go back and do it next year for my half century mark.

You are a braver soul than I.

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed the tour very much. I'm very much into fossil plants so this was a treat.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Very nice report, loved the photos.

Some nice finds too.:)

Do you know any of the species?  

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

16 hours ago, RandyB said:

20190513_122221.thumb.jpg.cd5f86038e07ddad6b222d842cad3197.jpg

The palm is the most abundant species at Big Cedar Ridge.  Here is an excellent paper:

Wing, S.L., Strömberg, C.A.E., Hickey, L.J., Tiver, F., Willis, B., Burnham, R.J., Behrensmeyer, A.K. 2012

Floral and environmental gradients on a Late Cretaceous landscape.

Ecological Monographs, 82(1):23-47  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I was there a few years ago.  Yes, it is remote, even by Wyoming standards.  You did pretty good... that is a good haul.   

Wow!! What a trip :envy:. Those are some great photos as well. Beautiful landscapes 

13 hours ago, RandyB said:

The info I had found on BCR was sketchy so I had no idea what collecting there was going to be like @Wrangellian.  Being relatively new to fossil hunting as a whole didnt help either as I had never, and still haven't, come across matrix that was as soft as what we experienced at this site.  Luckily most of our finds survived my hamhanded handling relatively intact and one of the best pieces was actually found when I was splitting a chunk down to take pictures for this post.  Makes me wonder what else is in there and made me grateful I didnt try to split it in the field. Now that its dry the material its easier to handle though still soft.

Yes, luckily most matrix at other places is more sturdy than those, though problems can occur with other kinds of matrix too (like my splintery shale here).

Also enjoyed seeing the photos of the area and the finds! congrats! Thanks for the report!

Regards, Chris 

Congratulations those are some exquisite finds. Thanks for posting them and the awesome landscape they came from.