This preparation of ammonite went too far.

WiktorS

Hello, 
I almost die, when I was extracting this ammonite from wall of abandoned limestone quarry.   
So, that's my very first stone preparation, of 200 mm (7,8") ammonite (Perisphinctes), which I found near my hometown - Kraków, Poland. 
OK, I know, it's not so big, but the largest I have ever found.

As You can see I got carried away, so it's half natural specimen, and half carving. 
Preparation I done with Dremel Engraver and some chisels I made from old files. I enjoyed it well :D

_18W1234.jpg

_18W1259.jpg

• I found this Informative 17

This is absolutely stunning and inspiring work. You definitely have some very impressive carving skills!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

What a wonderful piece. I like it very much.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Beautifully done, ... despite the 9 arms. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

tat is an original way to prep an ammonite :D wel done 

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

43 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Nice art piece. 

I count 10 arms by looking at the curled tips. Were ammonites thought to have 10 arms like their modern counterparts?

I am glad that we do not see an ammonite turned into a coiled snake as found in the UK.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I do like fossils turned into artwork and you have done an incredible job with this!   If this is your first, then you most deffinetly have some talent my friend. 

RB

5 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

You didn't count those on the other side, the ones not visible from your viewpoint.

Beautiful carving.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Great idea! You may have started a new fad.

I've never seen a Perisphinctes that big (not saying they don't exist, just that I have never seen one, that I can recall, and would love to have one if they're not too hard to get)....

I've heard of people carving fossils into artwork like tools, pottery, and bookends, but I've never heard of someone carving a relief of a fossil animal onto its fossil (without messing with the actual fossil as well)!

This work is exceptionally amazing, and I love every piece of it.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Thanks for kind words.  :D 

our jurassic fossils are not easy to prepare because the rock and specimen are very homogeneous. helps soaking in water or vinegar 1,5-10%

I don't know how many arms were ammonites. I read that 8 or 10. This one has 10 - but that's my interpretation. for me this one looks a bit like a hermit squid: P maybe you know how they could look like? maybe like nautilus?

I made one more - tiny. The entire sculpture about 8cm (3.15 ")

_18W1223_S.jpg

_18W1229_S.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

:look: :default_clap2:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Podam ci adres gdzie wyslac! Sliczne. :D

(I'll give you an address where you should send it. Beautiful.)

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...