Fossilized gum and teeth ?

Kathleen

I need help identifying these teeth and petrified gums. My neighbor received a load of gravel from a quarry in Kansas. I asked if i could look for fossils etc. And I found these teeth. They are 1 1/2 inches long. Thank you

20190515_084912.jpg

20190515_084921.jpg

I reiterate: I'm bad at recognizing stuff from photographs;these look like mammalian teeth(might even be pretty recent??),but i will disappoint you on the "gums" part: given the thermodynamics of organic nonmineralized tissue decay , the chances are these are not gums 

2 hours ago, SUPER BAT said:

baby mamot teeth?

Image result for deinotherium skull

The shape does not match to what you would expect in a mammoth, the image you show is deinotherium which is not a mammoth and never existed in Kansas.

• I found this Informative 1

If this is not a Sus scrofa m3, it is something very close.  The problem is that there are no close ancestors of Sus in Kansas.  This pig would be at an appropriate age for slaughter, that is, young but good size.  This adult tooth is unerupted, not fully developed.

pig_sus_scrofa_m2_m3.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

It was found in a quarry. Wonder how old it is.  The top gum looking part is like rock.  

2 minutes ago, Kathleen said:

It was found in a quarry. Wonder how old it is.  The top gum looking part is like rock.  

Found in a quarry and quarried from rock are two different things. How old it is depends on how long ago the animal died, not the age of the animal. Tap your teeth lightly with a butter knife and record the sound on your phone or computer. Tap any old rock you found the same way and record. Do they sound the same?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Quarrying operations necessarily move surface deposits to get to deeper material.  A modern pig tooth from the surface could be included in the gravel.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest