Which came first? Dinosaur or Chicken?

Click Here

As promised, here are 2 photos with measurements showing an egg that was in the collection of fossils found in a storage locker. Again, no known location of origin. There appears to be an embryo still attached, which is pretty dang cool if you ask me, but not enough physical detailed features to be able to identify what class of animal it belongs to. I've considered chipping away a bit of the surrounding stone to see if I could acquire more detail of the egg itself, but I'm "chicken". (mic drop)

Anyway, I've been corny enough. If anyone has any idea on what this may be I'd be eternally grateful.

20181120_194638.jpg

20181120_194615.jpg

Sorry, but that does not look like any egg to me. It appears to be some type of geologic nodule or concretion.

Eggs are pretty rare, and embryos even rarer. Different types of concretions can often look a bit egg-like at a glance but they lack the structure one would expect to see on an actual egg.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Well poo. Looks just like an egg to me. The "shell" even has spots on it. I'll take an angled photo when I get home to show.

Please post photos of the other side and the other end.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

4 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Please post photos of the other side and the other end.

I will, as soon as I get home I'll take some better shots, different angles.

1 minute ago, Click Here said:

I will, as soon as I get home I'll take some better shots, different angles.

Thank you.

Mark.

Its geologic a concretion they can take the look of an egg like its been already said..  

I think y'all may be right. Not sure if I'll get in trouble for this but I found a link to an article written by the Arkansas Geological Survey Blog which has a bunch of photos, a few of which do resemble my "egg". How disappointing. I'm 0 for 2 now...lol Below is the link if anyone is interested.

https://arkansasgeological.wordpress.com/2015/11/06/geopic-of-the-week-ironstone-concretions/

• I found this Informative 2

Yup, you've done your research and confirmed the id. :)

Classic example of an ironstone concretion.  

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

" Which came first? Dinosaur or Chicken? "

I suppose, the former. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 hours ago, Click Here said:

I think y'all may be right. Not sure if I'll get in trouble for this but I found a link to an article written by the Arkansas Geological Survey Blog which has a bunch of photos, a few of which do resemble my "egg". How disappointing. I'm 0 for 2 now...lol Below is the link if anyone is interested.

https://arkansasgeological.wordpress.com/2015/11/06/geopic-of-the-week-ironstone-concretions/

Good research on your part. However, don't overlook or ignore ironstone concretions. Google Mazon Creek fossils to see why.

Mark.