Searching Fossilworks by Geography

DPS Ammonite

Does anyone know how to search the Fossilworks/Paleobiology Database sites to create a list of fossils sorted by name and age for geographical areas such as Arizona? 

I found an interesting Wikipedia page that lists fossils found in Arizona that provided links to Wikipedia pages about the individual fossils. The source for the list is from the Fossilworks/ Paleobiology websites.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_prehistoric_life_of_Arizona

Similar pages are available for other states. To find other pages search for:  “List of the prehistoric life of Xxxx Wikipedia”. Substitute desired state for Xxxx.

A list of known fossils from any geographic locality is very useful especially when references are cited. Let’s figure out how to create lists of fossils.

Thanks,

John

@Kane @JohnJ @Fossildude19

@Auspex

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I’m thinking geological formation should be sufficient, given that fossils do not abide by state / province / region / country lines. 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

14 hours ago, Kane said:

I’m thinking geological formation should be sufficient, given that fossils do not abide by state / province / region / country lines. 

Certainly so for researchers, professional and amateur alike, but geographic location filtering would be a bonanza for fossil hunters (with the potential for destructive exploitation).

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

And, certainly, nothing stops anyone with the time and inclination to develop those kinds of lists as a helpful tool for others. A sortable Excel sheet could suffice in being able to organize columns according to taxonomy, formation, etc. That being said, given the numerous sites worldwide, it may be beyond the remit of TFF to create and maintain. There is also the very sage caveat offered by @Auspex above, given that we have a lot of visitors to the site (some who may not be ethical collectors). 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Sorry, I haven't ever really used that website.  :shrug:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me