JBMugu

Hello everyone, 

I was hoping someone could help me with the identification with this bone that I found at the Royal Peacock Opal Mine in the Virgin Valley, Humboldt County, Northeastern Nevada, USA. Geologic age is the Miocene. Bones are very rarely found in this area. It is mostly opal, petrified wood, and fossilized wood. I am guessing this came from a land mammal. Possibly a camel. Does anyone have a better idea what it could be? 

I donated this bone to the mine owner due to its rarity. I thought it should stay where it was found.

PS: In the next few days I will post a couple of other rare fossils found at the mine by the owner's son (Jake Anderson).

RPOM Bone 4.jpg

RPOM Bone 3.jpg

RPOM Bone 2.jpg

RPOM Bone 1.jpg

7 hours ago, JBMugu said:

Hello everyone, 

I was hoping someone could help me with the identification with this bone that I found at the Royal Peacock Opal Mine in the Virgin Valley, Humboldt County, Northeastern Nevada, USA. Geologic age is the Miocene. Bones are very rarely found in this area. It is mostly opal, petrified wood, and fossilized wood. I am guessing this came from a land mammal. Possibly a camel. Does anyone have a better idea what it could be? 

I donated this bone to the mine owner due to its rarity. I thought it should stay where it was found.

PS: In the next few days I will post a couple of other rare fossils found at the mine by the owner's son (Jake Anderson).

RPOM Bone 4.jpg  RPOM Bone 3.jpg  RPOM Bone 2.jpg  RPOM Bone 1.jpg

Hi Jesse,

That looks like the proximal end of an ulna.  It might be tough to get an ID to genus or family with just a partial like that.  I saw a jaw of a Merychippus-like horse from there before. 

Jess

• I found this Informative 1

I agree with the proximal end of an ulna. I was thinking about something like a small three toed horse? @Harry Pristis is usualy spot on with bone ID's. Any idea Harry?

Jesse

1 hour ago, Osteobyte said:

This is very flat. What about pelvis? The acetabulum missing the pubis extension?

I had the same feeling! Glad you brought it up.

On 5/19/2019 at 2:50 PM, Osteobyte said:

This is very flat. What about pelvis? The acetabulum missing the pubis extension?

Hi Osteobyte,

I looked at some photos of horse acetabulum and I think you are right! I always thought it was a little thin to be a leg bone. Thanks for the ID!

-Jesse

Hi Jesse,

Is it possible this is an innominate from a deer or deer-sized animal? It seems on the small side to belong to a horse.

5 hours ago, Osteobyte said:

Hi Jesse,

Is it possible this is an innominate from a deer or deer-sized animal? It seems on the small side to belong to a horse.

I think the age of the layer there is Middle Miocene, Barstovian age, so it's too old to be a deer (earliest deer are known from the Hemphillian of Florida, I think) but it could be a horse or camel both of which were more diverse at the time.  Harry or Larry might be able to ID it.

@fossillarry

16 hours ago, Peto Lithos said:

They had small horses back then.

Right, of course, thank you!

• 1 month later...

It's a portion of the innonmnate  missing the pubic bone portion. It could be from a horse but I would have to see it in person to be sure.  If it is a horse it's from a" merychipine" ,the only other genus from there in Hypohippus. Hay Jess

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, fossillarry said:

It's a portion of the innonmnate  missing the pubic bone portion. It could be from a horse but I would have to see it in person to be sure.  If it is a horse it's from a" merychipine" ,the only other genus from there in Hypohippus. Hay Jess

Hey Larry,

I'm glad you checked in.  Osteobyte is sharp about bones too.

Jess