biological origin or just a cool rock?

emmag15

i’m pretty sure this is just a cool rock but if any of you think it’s of biological origin... one can only hope!!

AEAE57D5-895C-49BF-A743-367FE1252ACE.jpeg

Just now, tatehntr said:

A very cool rock without a doubt...but is it something more? My expertise fails me 

my question exactly! when i first saw it it reminded me of a dinosaur bone at a local museum. if it’s something more than a cook rock it would be amazing!!

here are pictures of the dinosaur bone from the museum... i can see a few similarities but that might just be me being optimistic:zzzzscratchchin:

2D47D4FA-6074-4608-A938-8B99CCF90D5E.jpeg

FEC8A07A-134B-4F72-866C-BB43A7CC6550.jpeg

396B04E9-0B79-454A-8D4C-3B8B2FCEA24D.jpeg

Intrusive igneous rock.  Andesite I think

• I found this Informative 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

I agree with igneous intrusion. Buy a 10x jeweler's loupe. Less than $10 online. Compare the bone to the specimen you found and split. Invaluable tool in geology and paleontology. I'll bet that more than 90% of the folks on this forum use one frequently and probably half of them have more than one in different powers in addition to a bunch of hand magnifiers of different powers. There are thousands of fossil species that can't be identified down to the species level without seeing minute details. Plus, when you pop it out of your pocket to view a specimen it really impresses the non-collectors around you. :D

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!