Mortoniceras?

MSirmon

I found this in Benbrook Tx which is a Cretaceous area. Is this Mortoniceras sp.?

im going to attempt to clean between the ribs but am tempted to try and keep some of the matrix attached where the embedded bivalves are. I think they tell a great story. 

7949518B-0733-4D8E-8252-052561BBE828.jpeg

5727D805-9152-4D40-9EF7-18585D2521F0.jpeg

I would generally say yes, but something about the ribs looks like its trying to be an Oxytropidoceras

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, -AnThOnY- said:

I would generally say yes, but something about the ribs looks like its trying to be an Oxytropidoceras

Thanks. Let me undress it and see what the ribs tell us 

• 2 weeks later...

The ribs look too narrow and widely spaced for any of the species of Mortoniceras I see in my book. There is Oxytroidoceras texanum found in the Goodland Formation (which is around Benbrook) which looks similar to what I can see of your specimen. The adult rubbing on this species is fairly widely spaced, high, rounded and club shaped on the margin which I think I see in your pictures. Do you have a picture looking at the edge so we can see the profile and what the keel looks like?

3 minutes ago, ClearLake said:

The ribs look too narrow and widely spaced for any of the species of Mortoniceras I see in my book. There is Oxytroidoceras texanum found in the Goodland Formation (which is around Benbrook) which looks similar to what I can see of your specimen. The adult rubbing on this species is fairly widely spaced, high, rounded and club shaped on the margin which I think I see in your pictures. Do you have a picture looking at the edge so we can see the profile and what the keel looks like?

Will this work?

A1B2BCE4-8FBA-44C5-98B2-79304E9A77DE.jpeg

Yep, makes me more confident of O. texanum or something very similar. No grooves on either side of the keel rule out Mortoniceras from my understanding. 

If you're going to do some prep on this piece I would love to see the result.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

2 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

If you're going to do some prep on this piece I would love to see the result.

I am going to try some light prep on it and will post the results whether successful or not, but have high hopes for the result.

36 minutes ago, MSirmon said:

I am going to try some light prep on it and will post the results whether successful or not, but have high hopes for the result.

Good luck with it!

:popcorn:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.