LiamL

What glue do you recommend for fixing broken fossils?. The one i currently use is called gorilla glue but i'd like a colourless one.

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Gorilla glue is not the best choice. It is polyurethane based.  I think it does not age well, but that is based on my knowledge of other polyurethanes.  If you can't get some Paraloid (Acryloid, maybe in the UK) use a cyanoacrylate (superglue).  I see Gorilla Glue makes a superglue.  I know nothing about it, but the web site says it is a cyanoacrylate.   

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, jpc said:

Gorilla glue is not the best choice. It is polyurethane based.  I think it does not age well, but that is based on my knowledge of other polyurethanes.  If you can't get some Paraloid (Acryloid, maybe in the UK) use a cyanoacrylate (superglue).  I see Gorilla Glue makes a superglue.  I know nothing about it, but the web site says it is a cyanoacrylate.   

I've been using Paraloid to coat my bone but not as a glue. I'll look at getting some Gorilla Super Glue, hopefully it's colourless.

Thank you :)

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

3 hours ago, LiamL said:

I've been using Paraloid to coat my bone but not as a glue. I'll look at getting some Gorilla Super Glue, hopefully it's colourless.

Thank you :)

Don't use the regular Gorilla Glue. It expands dramatically as it cures and requires that the surfaces being glued are wet for it to cure properly, and you need to clamp the pieces being glued with force that may damage the specimen. Obviously, avoid any water-soluble adhesives. With sufficient time and humidity they eventually will fail.   Any cyanoacrylate (crazy glue) will work. The very liquid variety can be "wicked" into the seam with the pieces being held together in the desired final position, or the thicker, gap-filling variety can be applied to surfaces that are not an exact match. If you're trying to fill large gaps other methods, like those used to assemble complete skeletons at museums, can be quite complicated and time-consuming. There is no absolutely correct way to do it, as each specimen will have individual requirements and only with experience can one select the best method. Get a few different glues, epoxies, and other adhesives and break some rocks with a hammer. Using the various adhesives make the rocks whole again. Wear safety goggles; a rock chip to the eyeball is not fun. Once you can solve these 3D jigsaw puzzles you will be able to handle any fossil gluing problem.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!