Fox or Jackal lower jaw?

Darko

Hello everyone!

As some of you know, i did post last time some of my archeological finds, which i've found in my own garden (yeah,it's impossible to believe). Here was 50 years ago archeological site near by so that's a good proof.I found a lower jaw, not sure if it's fox or a jackal , i found in few books quite big similarity between them.Any help?

Thanks 

DSC_0890.JPG

_20190518_120654.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

How big is this piece ?

My first thought would be C. aureus moreoticus. I am way more familiar with North American canids so I could be wrong of course.

1 minute ago, fossilsonwheels said:

How big is this piece ?

My first thought would be C. aureus moreoticus. I am way more familiar with North American canids so I could be wrong of course.

Something like 6,7 maybe 8cm.

I have a red fox jaw and all my Carnivora reference material at work so let me look at it today.

15 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

I have a red fox jaw and all my Carnivora reference material at work so let me look at it today.

Sounds good!

Sounds a little on the too big side for a fox to me, but I have no reference material. 

What is the width of the jaw bone ? I am pretty sure it is not a fox but knowing the width of the bone would help.

Why do you believe that this is not Canis familiaris? . . . Particularly because it was buried in your garden.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

On 5/19/2019 at 3:20 PM, Harry Pristis said:

Why do you believe that this is not Canis familiaris? . . . Particularly because it was buried in your garden.

I think @Harry Pristis has an excellent point. I can only go so far as to say it is not a fox. Canis sp of some kind.

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 months later...
On 20.5.2019. at 12:20 AM, Harry Pristis said:

It could be if we talk about Archeological context. But besides, i found also a canine with a hole in it, so it was probabaly amulete. I don't think that people from Neolithic period used dogs canine as a amulete. I asked one Paleontologist from Serbia and he told me that it could be a Jackal, it is bigger than a fox, smaller than a wolf jaw. And it was found with a lot of pottery nearby.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19.5.2019. at 11:59 PM, fossilsonwheels said:

What is the width of the jaw bone ? I am pretty sure it is not a fox but knowing the width of the bone would help.

maybe less than 1,5cm

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 12:48 PM, Scylla said:

Maybe? Why not get out a ruler and measure it. Better yet, take pictures from different angles with the ruler. Then @Harry Pristis and @fossilsonwheels can give a better ID. 

1-1,5cm. Quite small tho. I will do it again, thanks for advice!