Shellseeker

If this is what I think it is...  it's rare and exciting. This fossil is a phalanx (a toe bone at the end of the foot) .   I have mis_identified very similar bones as predator in the past, so I ask for help . @Harry Pristis

For anyone new to fossil toe bones, refer to the analysis and fantastic photos in this TFF thread: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/83952-toe-bone-possible-predator/ProximalPhalanx6.JPG.9ea18e704c47e58fbc7d337ddc7f6e77.JPGProximalPhalanx2.JPG.611b4dad958b3a1d179fe57e0205dfc6.JPGProximalPhalanx5.JPG.57f00cb71c26b0819325b98f028f18d7.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

25 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

It looks like cat, maybe something other than jaguar.  For comparison:

Thanks,  as you realize I always try to extend my knowledge on new finds.

For this one, is it reasonable to ID this as a a left foot phalanx based on the almost straight top line and very curved bottom line in photo #1?

I was tentitive in ID as jaguar, given some variations.  Are you thinking a large Puma concolor or do you have other possibilities in mind? The site is mostly marine but had a pre-Equus horse, a  Macroclemys mandible, some odd vertebrae.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Tammy found a Puma concolor phalanx a few years back up in Rainbow Springs. I remember it being a bit more slender and gracile than the jaguar phalanges. Because these are so rarely found I'm not well versed at all in differentiating the big cats. Are you going to pass some photos by Dr. Hulbert to get his take on this?

:envy:

Cheers.

-Ken

23 hours ago, digit said:

Because these are so rarely found I'm not well versed at all in differentiating the big cats. Are you going to pass some photos by Dr. Hulbert to get his take on this?

Email sent...

I agree that my fossil is "less robust" than Harry's photos.... so our speculations make sense.  We''ll see what Richard responds..

Dang Jack, that is awesome. Looking forward to seeing who it comes from...Love the preservation...not too much transport/beating!

Regards, Chris