Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Racheld1

Has anyone tried Shell Creek?

Recommended Posts

Racheld1

Just curious if anyone has tried hunting for fossils on Shell Creek in Punta Gorda! Not shell fossils ;) It’s pretty close to me but I’ve heard mixed reviews on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minnbuckeye

PM sent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PODIGGER

Was also thinking of trying there, but all I read on it said there were plenty of shells and not much else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Racheld1
40 minutes ago, PODIGGER said:

Was also thinking of trying there, but all I read on it said there were plenty of shells and not much else.

I think the creeks further up towards Arcadia are better for fossil hunting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PODIGGER

I just started my fossil hunting in April and have been having some success north of Gardner. I'm currently working a spot that has been productive with Meg, Snaggletooth, Lemon, Tiger, Bull, Dusky and Cow shark. Also finding Horse, Tapir, Bison, Camel, Alligator and Mammoth fragments. I would definitely stay north of Arcadia and the area around Canoe Outpost.  The area has been heavily sifted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Racheld1
16 minutes ago, PODIGGER said:

I just started my fossil hunting in April and have been having some success north of Gardner. I'm currently working a spot that has been productive with Meg, Snaggletooth, Lemon, Tiger, Bull, Dusky and Cow shark. Also finding Horse, Tapir, Bison, Camel, Alligator and Mammoth fragments. I would definitely stay north of Arcadia and the area around Canoe Outpost.  The area has been heavily sifted.

Nice!! Sounds like you’ve found a great spot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilDAWG

So what is wrong with fossil shells?

 

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mark Kmiecik
8 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

So what is wrong with fossil shells?

 

Don

They're in Shell Creek -- way too trite!!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis
3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

So what is wrong with fossil shells?

 

Don

My question also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Racheld1

I just don’t collect them! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Coco

Hi,

 

What a pity ! Send me them ! :heartylaugh:

 

Coco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Past Hunter

I passed on a lot of shells and now that the only place I fossil hunt is here on the forum I wish I had kept more. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shellseeker

I could never resist pausing along the way to pick up the seashells...

SMR_seashells.jpg.8b09b571d447234ca073df705a866814.jpgSeashellSidebySide.thumb.jpg.9fd02322c923d0afbaea70355d3f8050.jpg

Sometimes when looking for seashells, other things just show up....

IMG_3869MegInSitu.thumb.jpg.180e1f5edb6a476ad4a15ed5b2818936.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Racheld1
9 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I could never resist pausing along the way to pick up the seashells...

SMR_seashells.jpg.8b09b571d447234ca073df705a866814.jpgSeashellSidebySide.thumb.jpg.9fd02322c923d0afbaea70355d3f8050.jpg

Sometimes when looking for seashells, other things just show up....

IMG_3869MegInSitu.thumb.jpg.180e1f5edb6a476ad4a15ed5b2818936.jpg

Those are gorgeous!!! I do collect shells that catch my eye while I’m hunting for teeth and mammal fossils :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max-fossils

@Shellseeker that's what I like to see :i_am_so_happy:

Very nice finds!

 

 

@FossilDAWG @Nimravis Although shells are clearly the best fossils anyone can ever collect, I can see how most people don't have much interest in them. Vertebrates like sharks and dinosaurs are terrifying yet fascinating to imagine in your head, and you can think of crazy stories on how they lived. Mollusks on the other hand are quite static, mundane and boring animals (hence the expression) when they're alive, and don't leave a great deal up to the imagination. It's also harder to get into them because their names aren't as catchy as say "lemon shark" or "giant tooth", and it's just a more complex area to study due to the incredible array of different species (there are way more mollusk species (85'000 extant) than vertebrates (66'000 extant), so now imagine the difference in fossil species). So to the majority of fossil hunters, shells are "pretty, but kinda complicated and boring compared to sharks/dinos/mammals". 

I'm in a lot of fossil communities (WhatsApp groups, Instagram groups, fossil clubs, fossil websites, etc) and I quite quickly get the reputation of being 'the shell guy' because I'm (one of) the only one(s) really passionate about them. Most people in there are mainly shark and dinosaur amateurs. 

 

 

Anyways, back to the OP, I have personally never tried Shell Creek (I live in the Netherlands so it's kinda far away), but simply hearing of a creek in Florida with a lot of fossil shells after which the creek is named, oh boy, that's drool-worthy to me! :drool:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mark Kmiecik
2 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Although shells are clearly the best fossils anyone can ever collect

Nope, nope, nope. Mazon Creek is by far the best and does include a shell or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max-fossils
15 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Nope, nope, nope. Mazon Creek is by far the best and does include a shell or two.

 

:zzzzscratchchin:

 

For you to make such a deluded comment, I suppose one of the Mazon Creek nodules you collected must've fallen on your head! :P 

Bivalves are clearly the leaders of the pack when it comes to the best fossils ever...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mark Kmiecik
1 minute ago, Max-fossils said:

 

:zzzzscratchchin:

 

For you to make such a deluded comment, I suppose one of the Mazon Creek nodules you collected must've fallen on your head! :P 

Bivalves are clearly the leaders of the pack when it comes to the best fossils ever...

And the Mazon Creek bivalves are the best of the best. Seriously! How many of the areas where you collect bivalves are called "Chowder Flats"? Dang, the MC bivalves are so good they're nearly edible.:yay-smiley-1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×