WI-fossil-guy

This fossil was collected in Ordovician limestone in southeast Minnesota, USA. Any possible ID suggestions would be appreciated.

441018C1-4B84-4498-A72A-19BBA7C9E904.jpeg

8EE1827B-6A39-4970-93EC-CC192AB3C032.jpeg

Hi, and welcome to the forum from Illinois.

It's an interesting find, but I don't see anything that says fossil to me. However, I don't know them all, so wait for others to chime in with their thoughts.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Mark, thanks for the welcome. The reason I think it is interesting is because the “fossil” portion is so well delineated.

looks like a chert nodule to me also

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thanks all. A chert nodule it must be. Your   knowledge and experience is greatly appreciated.TFF is a great resource.

7 hours ago, WI-fossil-guy said:

Thanks all. A chert nodule it must be. Your   knowledge and experience is greatly appreciated.TFF is a great resource.

In the geological history of the planet there have been many forces that created all sorts of wonderful shapes, colors and patterns with so many variations that we still haven't counted or even found them all. Hundreds, if not thousands, deceptively resemble animals, insects, plants and even man-made things with incredible mimicry. Half the fun is being able to see the difference, and even the pros get stumped regularly. If you look through just the posts in this thread you will find hundreds of things that look like something they are not, and in some cases, quite a lot of discussion among the forum members as to what it is without reaching a consensus. That's what makes it fun. That's how we all learn.

So, don't be afraid to make mistakes. We've all been there and will still be there tomorrow. Keep posting what you find and we'll help you ID it. Eventually you'll be helping others.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Please take a look how tripolitic chert may looks like. :)

5ce3260c636a1_TripoliticChert-800.jpg.3f30cc2859586bee6191c36832ef3c69.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library