Please help identify this

Thomas C.

Mark Kmiecik

Fossil wood. Pennsylvanian, 310mya, approximately. Can't be more specific because not enough associations have been made between foliage, branches and trunks to make positive ID's. It's a fairly common fossil found in your area, but this specimen is a very good example of the type and level of preservation and is sometimes included in the Mazon Creek floral assemblage because of the proximity of the beds where these are found to the Francis Creek Shale Member, occasionally being interspersed as thin isolated layers of lignite.

• I found this Informative 1
8 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Fossil wood. Pennsylvanian, 310mya, approximately. Can't be more specific because not enough associations have been made between foliage, branches and trunks to make positive ID's. It's a fairly common fossil found in your area, but this specimen is a very good example of the type and level of preservation and is sometimes included in the Mazon Creek floral assemblage because of the proximity of the beds where these are found to the Francis Creek Shale Member, occasionally being interspersed as thin isolated layers of lignite.

Thanks for telling me, I appreciate it. I am a bit of an amateur and I often have trouble identifying anything that’s not a trilobite, coral, or Brachiopod.

Mark Kmiecik
7 minutes ago, Thomas C. said:

Thanks for telling me, I appreciate it. I am a bit of an amateur and I often have trouble identifying anything that’s not a trilobite, coral, or Brachiopod.

You've got Mazon Creek fossils five minutes west of you. See if you can find your way onto Shadow Lakes. Get permission. Don't trespass. You'll find some great fossils there. Walk the trails on that property. New building sites or any excavations or environmental restoration in the area can be very good. As a local resident you should be able to find those before most other people do.

Post up anything you need help to ID as you have been so far. We're glad to help.