Thomas C.

Please help identify

Thomas C.

I found these recently in Wilmington after forked creek flooded, I have not seen anything like them in the region before

image.jpg

Mark Kmiecik

I don't believe I've done it yet so I'll say hi, and welcome to the forum now.

I won't be of any help in the ID of these. I am mostly familiar with Mazon Creek nodules. A few more photos of all the other sides of both specimens will be helpful for others to help ID them, and include a ruler in the photos so we can tell how big they are. Also, did you find them in the creek, near the creek, in a parking lot, a gravel road, etc. If you know the name of the formation if you found them 'in situ', that would also help. Thank you.

-Mark

P.S. -- is your avatar a Massasauga?

Thomas C.
4 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I don't believe I've done it yet so I'll say hi, and welcome to the forum now.

I won't be of any help in the ID of these. I am mostly familiar with Mazon Creek nodules. A few more photos of all the other sides of both specimens will be helpful for others to help ID them, and include a ruler in the photos so we can tell how big they are. Also, did you find them in the creek, near the creek, in a parking lot, a gravel road, etc. If you know the name of the formation if you found them 'in situ', that would also help. Thank you.

-Mark

I am about to go out to see if I can collect a few more similar specimen, I will update the post when I get back. Thanks for telling me how to fix it

Fossildude19

Your first item looks like an orthocone cephalopod. 

The second one looks a bit like a coral. 

Pictures of that one from all angles with a ruler for scale would be helpful to be more accurate.

Nimravis
On 5/19/2019 at 7:35 PM, Fossildude19 said:

Your first item looks like an orthocone cephalopod. 

The second one looks a bit like a coral. 

Pictures of that one from all angles with a ruler for scale would be helpful to be more accurate.

I agree- I have found similar items out at the pits, including trilobite pieces- they were brought down by the glaciers and were left behind when the retreated.