Mystery fossil with two members

markjw

Found this guy under the Lakeshore Bridge in Long Branch, Ontario. It's about 4cm long. Any ideas what it might be?

mysteryFossil.jpg

28 minutes ago, markjw said:

Any ideas what it might be?

Welcome to the forum ... you know it almost looks like a Rusophycus .. a trilobite burrow.  But someone more familiar with the area and the formation .. and frankly the bugs in that area can help,  Just a shot in the dark. 

But your location .. and the location of this find in the post look almost identical. 

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 2

Welcome to the forum from sunny Florida. Can we get a couple more views? Thanks.

Thanks!

The "trace fossil" ID is, so far, quite intriguing. Looks a bit like Monica's find from same locale.

mysteryFossil-1.jpg

aMysteryFossil3.jpg

aBumpyFossil40.jpg

I'm a beginner, but I just walked down from the main road and found lots of interesting fossils. That was a nice place to visit.

I had the same thought as Brett - Rusophycus (trilobite burrow or resting trace(?))

It's a keeper!

Did the other two members that were with you find anything or are you the "King of the Hill" with this piece?

Nice find!

The layer of rock underlying that area is Georgian Bay Formation (late Ordovician). Lots of trilobites to be found in that layer so a burrow or resting place is entirely possible.

Trace fossils are at least 100 times less likely to be found than fossils of the animal that made them. Great find. I would look for more of these, and the trilos will come easily as a by-product of that search.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!