St Paul Stone Quarry

minnbuckeye

@Raggedy Man posted this a few years ago. I have always wanted to visit this quarry.  Does anyone know how the quarry currently operates ? Does ESCONI have any trips planned there? Now that I am retired, I am at liberty to visit about any time!!!!! Just need to know how.

•  

Many people have expressed interest in hunting the Waldron at the St.Paul Stone Quarry, but due to not being involved with a club access is denied.....or is it? It is my pleasure to announce major changes in access to this bucket list quarry.

*Update and Changes*

Instead of organized club trips on Fridays, a series of Saturday open collecting opportunities have been initiated. At this time, there are two dates available with more possibly to follow. Those dates are: May 21st(past) and July 16th. Those interested in collecting need to show up at the quarry office between 7:30 am and 8:00 am (Eastern Time) to sign waivers and probably receive on-site training

I answered my own question. A direct call to the quarry was all it took. I was told as an individual, all you needed to do is give them a few days notice and they could accommodate !!!  Group hunts require more timing with the quarry. This is so unlike quarries from my experience where individuals are not allowed. So, around the weekend of June 6th, I will be visiting them. Raggedy Man, did you want to meet up? Have you been up my way lately??

Next, seeing that I will be blindly entering the quarry, any suggestions on how to explore the quarry from those who have visited??

Mike

• I found this Informative 4

I was just reading a post and the member stated that they drove them out to a site where the Shale was sitting and the fossils were just weathering out, kind of like shooting fish in a bucket.

I've been there a number of times, it's one of my favorite places to collect. The Waldron shale is left out to weather as they have no economical use for it and you can just dig through the piles. Generally just need a hammer and chisel and maybe some large pockets, couple buckets and a good eye.You can find some incredible stuff.,Highly recommended!

• I found this Informative 1

That looks like a fun place! If you’re looking for someone to go with (also with no experience there) let me know! I’d love to visit. 

Is this in/near Saint Paul, Minnesota, or is it some other Saint Paul?

Don

Never mind, I think I figured it out.  St. Paul, Indiana.

Don

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Is this in/near Saint Paul, Minnesota, or is it some other Saint Paul?

Don

Never mind, I think I figured it out.  St. Paul, Indiana.

Don

I had to figure it out too by playing "Where's Waldron". :D I initially thought it was in Minnesota too.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Looks like Thursday June 6th or Friday 7th the quarry will allow access for me. The office staff will be contacting me soon as to which day, if not both, would work. So @gieserguy or whoever else may want to join in, let me know. Looks like loads of fun!!!! I can't wait. By the way, weekends are not an option at this quarry.

AND YES, THIS IS ST PAUL INDIANA, not Minnesota.

• I found this Informative 2

I will let you know what the quarry says. Hopefully Thursday is fine with them. 

I collected the quarry a few weeks ago and found some neat things including several relatively complete trilobites.

• I found this Informative 3

• 1 month later...

@FossilDAWG, unfortunately they rescinded my permission the week before my travel due to an upcoming inspection. They did not want any extraneous people milling around!!!

11 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

@FossilDAWG, unfortunately they rescinded my permission the week before my travel due to an upcoming inspection. They did not want any extraneous people milling around!!!

Just put on a hard hat and look like you are an employee "inspecting" the shale pile...for fossils. ;)

Hopefully, they can arrange a redo for you.

23 minutes ago, caldigger said:

;)

Hopefully, they can arrange a redo for you.

They offered already but unfortunately,I don't envision a trip back to Ohio soon.