caldigger

Found this slab at Jalama Beach, California on Saturday. It was quite different from all other blank pieces we found.

Monterey Shale Formation, Miocene.

Some of these prints look like bird tracks to me. Any insights?

20190518_211107.jpg

20190518_210857.jpg

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

If you can pick out impressions of the scales on their feet anywhere I will agree that they are bird tracks. 'Till then I agree that some of them do look like claw prints of birds.

I would want something more distinct before concluding that they are tracks. I realize that photos leave a lot to be desired as opposed to holding it in hand, so don't take offense, but I just don't see it. (and yes, I do have my glasses on)

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I find all kinds of different tracks in the Pleistocene bog iron of Virginia.  Most of the tracks are really hard to see unless you hold the bog iron at the correct angle to the light.  Partial bird tracks can be really hard to distinguish most times from just cracks that formed on the surface.  Complete bird tracks are easier to see and confirm.  I take pictures and study the myriad of tracks that are left when the beaver pond on my property dries out occasionally from lack of rain.

The below picture shows both deer and racoon tracks clearly:

IMG_1636.jpg.8593616092fdb0e5b4ba1a4446e7310d.jpg

The below picture has a number of different sized bird tracks but also has lots of cracks from the mud drying:

IMG_1639.jpg.b1b83949ded16a14aede8bf1d83978bd.jpg

I'm not seeing any tracks that I recognize in your piece but it is extremely difficult for me to see them in pictures.  You really need to hold the piece in your hand to see the tracks clearly.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

20190520_143543.jpg

There was a large slab that we couldn't carry that had definate negative set of tracks going across the entire length of it ( maybe about 30" ). Wish I had my phone to take a shot of it, but didn't think I would need the phone since there is no reception there.

Dorensigbadges.JPG