CplCoprolite

Don't Fossil Hunt Adjacent to Gun Ranges

CplCoprolite

I just realized that this is on the wrong subforum. My apologies I will move it. Is there a way for me to remove this?

Kane

As it is about fossil hunting, and it was your experience on a trip, it seems fine in this subforum -- as well as providing some good safety advice!

FossilDAWG

Welcome to the Forum!

Good to know about that site.  A few of our forum members hunt there occasionally, but I do not recall hearing about this problem.

The story about the bullet over your head reminds me of the story in the news a couple of weeks about about a young woman who was shot and killed while driving on a rural highway.  Unfortunately some people do not stop to consider that bullets continue traveling for a long distance if they do not hit (or if they go through) their target.

Don

jpevahouse

Just another day in the South. Last year my brother and I were fossil hunting at a site along the Mississippi River north of Memphis and some idiots opened up on us with assault rifles. Bullets were screaming by my head for a few seconds, a terrifying experience. Don't try "guns don't kill people, people kill people" on me. Guns absolutely kill people.

Uncle Siphuncle

A few years ago I was kayaking a stream and found myself hemmed in by gunfire both upstream and downstream several hundred yards both directions.  Made for a good time to hop on the nearest bar, tilt my hat and take a nap in the shade.

CplCoprolite

At least you had the sense to take a break

FossilDAWG

I once made a skydive at a dropzone that had a shooting range next door.  You did not want to miss the landing zone there! :(

Don

Darktooth

Thanks for sharing this!

Tidgy's Dad

Goodness! :o

deutscheben

Yikes! I've heard distant gunshots many times fossil hunting and hiking in rural areas, but never anything close.

FossilDAWG
2 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

That judgment includes safe shooting direction and backstop so that an afternoon of loud fun doesn't endanger others.   

My son made a shooting range on my property.  We shoot downhill into a ravine, with a long upward slope on the other side as a backstop.  Everything is on our property.  Basically there is 0 chance of bullets making it more than 30 or 40 feet beyond the last target.  Loud fun indeed!

Don

Auspex

Myth Busters had a little cannon ball incident that contributed to their show's cancellation.~.jpg

Uncle Siphuncle
13 hours ago, Auspex said:

Myth Busters had a little cannon ball incident that contributed to their show's cancellation.

~.jpg

At least it wasn’t a chain shot!

Auspex
2 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

At least it wasn’t a chain shot!

Chain probably wouldn't have bounced so far...

This thread illustrates the important difference between "home on the range" and "home down-range'.:P

Randyw

I agree with sixgill also. Every responsible shooter and range I’ve ever been to have firm rules about no shots going over the berm. One of the first rules of firearms I learned was know what’s behind your target. But unfortunately like anything anymore a lot of people behave irresponsibly. Guns don’t kill people stupid people with guns do LOL! 

Peace river rat

The best fossil day I ever had was right next to a gun range. Ranges that are operated properly have high berms and strict rules that ALL ROUNDS MUST IMPACT THE BERM the range master will kick you off the property and bar you for life, on most ranges. You should file a report with the county Sheriff.

I am often tempted to take my pistol when fossil hunting, but very rarely do. I settle for my David sling, a 3 ounce rock at 100 mph, is comparable to a medium bore, pistol round in impact energy.

Uncle Siphuncle
2 hours ago, Auspex said:

Chain probably wouldn't have bounced so far...

This thread illustrates the important difference between "home on the range" and "home down-range'.:P

Image result for chain shot

Used in the Civil War at ground level for maximum destruction.

Auspex
10 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Used in the Civil War at ground level for maximum destruction.

These (and a 'sliding dumbbell' type) were first developed for Naval warfare: dis-rigging ships. They made terrifying anti-personnel ordinance, but were less effective than canister shot shells against a mass charge.

CplCoprolite
18 minutes ago, hokiehunter said:

Agree about reporting this to the Sheriff.  At a minimum they will make a record of it and the range operator will very likely get a visit from someone he will take much more seriously.  If those bullets came from the range it is a very serious public safety issue indeed and you have a responsibility to report it and ID where the bullets were falling so that the issue can be solved. 

We did end up reporting the incident with the sheriff so I hope something is done about it. I don't think it is the shooter's fault as much as poor placement and structure of the range. 

I'm a southern boy, some label me crimson-necked (forum wouldn't let me post the other word, hah), I think guns are great tools and I know how to responsibly use them. And normally I would feel very safe around them except when I'm unknowingly downrange.

Edited by CplCoprolite
Used a no-no word

CplCoprolite
10 minutes ago, Carl said:

Just one quick comment. It's this pervasive mythology that the South is all crazy and dangerous or the North is all crazy and dangerous based on a few bad stories that keeps us divided and stuck in a primitive past. I prefer my fossils in the primitive past and my people in the communal future. I'll hunt fossils anywhere with anyone and continually look forward to collecting with my brothers and sisters of the deep past anywhere they may be.

Whole-heartedly agree with you Carl.