Fossil of alien tooling?

Ziggy204

You already posted this thread elsewhere with a different title. Please do not duplicate requests. 

We can certainly rule out alien tool.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

6 minutes ago, Kane said:

You already posted this thread elsewhere with a different title. Please do not duplicate requests. 

What is it?

23 hours ago, Kane said:

Realistically, the coils look a bit too regular. I think this is something man-made. 

It is not cement, it is a rock fragment. The hole and groove's were filled with dirt. On one end the rings are small with no etching on the grooves, the opposite side the rings are thicker and have etching squiggles. I have a video but it is too large.

18 minutes ago, Ziggy204 said:

Is it worth anything?

TFF doesn't do appraisals. Once you know the ID of what you have you could search the internet to see what others value it at.  

I originally thought this looked man-made because the spacing and regularity of the frills are a little too perfect. Looking from the side, the hole looks like it is a perfect circle. 

Maybe someone else could give you a more definite ID. I don't know a ton about crinoids. It could be a crinoid column print. Good luck. 

IMG_20190520_173433.thumb.jpg.721b7654a26a9f9536ef9a5ee0270056.jpg.aa6108b0dcf172c0e593ffee561b4bb1.jpgIMG_20190520_173418.thumb.jpg.8d4fded34580bf1f794fb4a7ba205cbe.jpg.b53286ad728551578fe41fffeee66e75.jpg

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Still think it is the print left by a crinoid columnal.

I agree,  reminds me of some silurian stems.

My first thought is also crinoid, too big for blastoid I think (but I am not an expert)

+1 for the cast of a a crinoid stem.

• I found this Informative 1

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Also known as a mold fossil of a crinoid stem.

Ligaments often hold the columnals together long enough for them to be preserved this way.

Seriously though, pretty cool that a crinoid stem can do that, new one for me too.

• I found this Informative 2

The Mahantango in the east (PA MD VA etc) has lots of crinoids preserved like this. I think it's unusual to see one this diameter though.