A walk along Lake Ontario shoreline

markjw

Oakville bedrock seems to have poor bedrock for fossil-hunting. However, between the glaciers and the city fathers, there has been a conspiracy to scatter all kinds of fossil bearing rocks around the joint. A walk at Dingle Park was disappointing until I saw this interesting pattern, about 50cm across. Maybe it is a "branching bryozoan"? I loved it.

aFossilColonyCreature-003.jpg

This is a very nice cross section through a large coral colony. It is a palaeozoic tabulata, possibly a favositid. The tabulae are very well visible in the lower part of the last pic.

For comparison, here is a small version from the other side of the large pond (Favosites styriacus, Palaeozoic of Graz, Styria, Austria):

Fuerstenstand_Favosites_30102015_kompr.thumb.jpg.0b399453542796b2aa3cc8330a3d3a1e.jpg

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for comments, colleagues. Very interested that it can be identified as a coral.

On 5/21/2019 at 10:28 PM, FranzBernhard said:

This is a very nice cross section through a large coral colony. It is a palaeozoic tabulata, possibly a favositid. The tabulae are very well visible in the lower part of the last pic.

For comparison, here is a small version from the other side of the large pond (Favosites styriacus, Palaeozoic of Graz, Styria, Austria):

Fuerstenstand_Favosites_30102015_kompr.thumb.jpg.0b399453542796b2aa3cc8330a3d3a1e.jpg

Franz Bernhard

I had the same thinking about it, but I'm surprised how closely your example resembles his!