This year I pulled the trigger on heading to Penn Dixie for the Dig With the Experts weekend! Definitely would highly recommend :dinothumb:. I drove up from Boston to the Buffalo area on Thursday and spent the day Friday digging with @Malcolmt and @JamesAndTheFossilPeach. It was a blast! Thanks again guys for giving me a lay of the land. Credit to @JamesAndTheFossilPeach for the find of the day with a giant Eldredgeops :trilo: (pic below). Saturday and Sunday were spent looking for trilobites in the roped off Dig With the Experts section of excavated shale with some success. Monday I drove back to Boston, and stopped to stretch my legs in Glenerie, NY to walk a stretch of road looking for Devonian brachiopods and gastropods. Got a couple!

All in all, a great trip... although I'm nice and sore :blink:. Here are my takeaways from the weekend. I tried to get a bit of the entire Penn Dixie Ecosystem keeping at least one of everything and as many trilobites as I could find. I wish I took more pictures Saturday and Sunday, but I was too busy splitting shale :hammer01:.

Cheers,

Barret

• I found this Informative 2

Don't forget cephalopods, brachiopods, nautilus, horn corals and crinoids (stems).

IMG_7709.thumb.jpg.38df57d05cf09b0eb71133e038c742c8.jpgIMG_7708.thumb.jpg.e789b2d9cff3a020a720b92395f53a91.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Glenerie, NY pit stop. Some more brachiopods, a decent sized gastropod and a small gastropod with a +1.

IMG_7710.thumb.jpg.e05dd21a107186d0d479f91d6c9a340b.jpgIMG_7713.thumb.jpg.dc2c31561be1c1ce0ad33c4af5690bd9.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Nice finds, some decent trilobites and I love the other pieces too. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Looks like you got some great bugs there. Enjoyed the opportunity to meet up and dig with you and James on the Friday. You put in a lot of work moving all that rock.....

Some great ones for sure, but I'm glad to see some people don't just take home trilobites from that place, though I know it's the main drawing card!

What is the item on the right in your last PD pic? I guess the thing on the left looks like an orthocone.

3 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Some great ones for sure, but I'm glad to see some people don't just take home trilobites from that place, though I know it's the main drawing card!

What is the item on the right in your last PD pic? I guess the thing on the left looks like an orthocone.

Hey Eric!  I think the specimen to the right of the orthoconic nautiloid might be a goniatite ammonoid - I found one myself this past weekend so they're around... :ninja::)

@Bguild

Great finds, Barret!  I was at PD with my daughter on the Sunday - it's too bad we didn't meet up because I brought brownies to share with forum members - perhaps next year...

9 hours ago, Bguild said:

Glenerie, NY pit stop. Some more brachiopods, a decent sized gastropod and a small gastropod with a +1.

IMG_7710.thumb.jpg.e05dd21a107186d0d479f91d6c9a340b.jpgIMG_7713.thumb.jpg.dc2c31561be1c1ce0ad33c4af5690bd9.jpg

That brachiopod in the lower right hand corner I believe is Chonetes hudsonica which are fairly uncommon there. That it is the best one I've seen. Congratulations on that and your Penn Dixie trilos. Nice score!

2 hours ago, Monica said:

Hey Eric!  I think the specimen to the right of the orthoconic nautiloid might be a goniatite ammonoid - I found one myself this past weekend so they're around... :ninja::)

Thanks, that makes sense. All I could see was a blob!

Looks like it was a fun (and productive) weekend. Glad to see some old friends were in attendance and that brownies were available--it just wouldn't be a group hunt without brownies or cookies. :drool:

Cheers.

-Ken

3 hours ago, Monica said:

@Bguild

Great finds, Barret!  I was at PD with my daughter on the Sunday - it's too bad we didn't meet up because I brought brownies to share with forum members - perhaps next year...

I showed up right at 9 on Sunday as everyone was walking over to the dig area. Totally missed the brownies :(. I'll for sure be going back, many more TFF members to meet!

Great finds and report. Now I just have to convince wife to go back to NY during one of these ;)

20 hours ago, Bguild said:

I showed up right at 9 on Sunday as everyone was walking over to the dig area. Totally missed the brownies :(. I'll for sure be going back, many more TFF members to meet!

Viola and I arrived at 11am so the brownies were enjoyed around lunchtime (I think right after the second time we were told to go to our cars because of lightning) when Gus found me (after he asked a few different women in Ontario-plated cars if they were me :P).  If you're there next year when Viola and I are there, then hopefully we can meet up so you'll be able to partake in the brownie-eating :fingerscrossed:

• I found this Informative 1