Strange Steinkern

Misha

This is a steinkern of a fossil clam that I had purchased, the shell itself fell apart almost immediately and this was left.

I just want to confirm that the things on the surface of it are some kinds of trace burrows from worms,

I am not really sure but that is what they look like to me.

Thank you all.

IMG_20190521_215645.jpg

IMG_20190521_215717.jpg

The worm tubes appear to me to be more recent than the steinkern as they are growing on the mold and not the shell. 

Serpulid worm tubes, i think. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

6 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The worm tubes appear to me to be more recent than the steinkern as they are growing on the mold and not the shell. 

Serpulid worm tubes, i think. 

If the worm tubes were recent and growing on the interior mold of the shell, then you probably would be looking at their exterior. I think that you are looking at the interior of the worm tubes since they were growing in the interior of a fossil shell that the poster said existed when bought but subsequently fell apart. The worm tubes are slightly younger than the shell which was then buried.

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

6 hours ago, Misha said:

trace burrows from worms,

I agree these are body fossils of worm tubes as DPS Ammonite says.

The loss of the shell was fortunate in a way.

• I found this Informative 1

Here are some similar worm tubes in an Eocene steinkern from the Castle Hayne Formation.

steinkern.jpg

• I found this Informative 1