Sign in to follow this  
Kane

Hungry Hollow Member

Kane

The Eldredgeops rana in this layer can come out quite large, albeit in fragments. There is a thin layer where they can come out full, as the same can be said throughout the Member, but the odds are not great. 

IMG_5955.JPG

Kane

Gastropods. The smaller ones usually come out whole, but bigger ones have more fragile shells. The base of the pic shows a rather large and senior Spinplatyceras.

IMG_5953.JPG

FossilDAWG

There other interesting things in the Hungry Hollow, such as blastoids and rarely a crinoid calyx.

Don

Malcolmt

A day in the field is better than a day hanging around at home. Glad you got out

Kane
3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

There other interesting things in the Hungry Hollow, such as blastoids and rarely a crinoid calyx.

Don

I'd say pretty rare for a calyx, for sure. You can follow the long stems and have them terminate...at a coral. :P Blastoids are much harder to see when the rock is fresh, and since I don't collect those, I have a list of folks who I'd be giving/trading those to if I was to find them. 

2 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

A day in the field is better than a day hanging around at home. Glad you got out

Definitely when the day is gorgeous out. A rainier than usual spring has meant fewer trips, but more productive time in the lab. I know the HH is not your cup of tea, but you're always welcome to join me next time. 

Darktooth

Geez, no pics of the Salamanders?:shakehead:

FossilDAWG
1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

But they were delicious! :drool:

Don

Darktooth
44 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

But they were delicious! :drool:

Don

:heartylaugh:

Monica

I love the snails :wub:

It's great that you got out - I still haven't been able to check out Etobicoke Creek due to being quite busy and being concerned about high water levels (it's been such a wet spring!!! :wacko:) - hopefully I'll be able to get out there a lot in the summertime... :fingerscrossed:

Kane
15 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Sorry, Dave. It was my one regret, but they were also squirming away rather too quickly after I disturbed them for me to take off the dirty gloves and whip out the camera. :P 

2 hours ago, Monica said:

I love the snails :wub:

It's great that you got out - I still haven't been able to check out Etobicoke Creek due to being quite busy and being concerned about high water levels (it's been such a wet spring!!! :wacko:) - hopefully I'll be able to get out there a lot in the summertime... :fingerscrossed:

It has been an unusually soggy spring. Probably best anyway to wait out any river trips until June or later to let the waters subside. All of Southwestern Ontario seems stuck in an odd trench battleground between the cold/warm fronts, with shots of moisture coming from the US midwest. 

Al Tahan

Nice trip Kane!!! Great finds :) 

JUAN EMMANUEL
On 2019-05-23 at 7:34 AM, Kane said:

Sorry, Dave. It was my one regret, but they were also squirming away rather too quickly after I disturbed them for me to take off the dirty gloves and whip out the camera. :P 

It has been an unusually soggy spring. Probably best anyway to wait out any river trips until June or later to let the waters subside. All of Southwestern Ontario seems stuck in an odd trench battleground between the cold/warm fronts, with shots of moisture coming from the US midwest. 

Very nice finds! I hope you eventually find a nice trilo you hope for.

Who remembers the summer of 2017 when the Humber River’s mouth flooded the waterfront trail? Or how Toronto Island properties/parks were flooded nearly knee high or so? Aren’t the islands in downtown T.O. on the verge of being flooded again? :((

Monica
5 hours ago, JUAN EMMANUEL said:

Who remembers the summer of 2017 when the Humber River’s mouth flooded the waterfront trail? Or how Toronto Island properties/parks were flooded nearly knee high or so? Aren’t the islands in downtown T.O. on the verge of being flooded again? :((

I do remember the flooding on the Toronto islands in 2017, and with all of the rain we've gotten this spring, I'm not surprised that it's likely going to happen again.  A day trip to Centre Island is likely not in the cards for us again this summer...

Kane
6 hours ago, JUAN EMMANUEL said:

Thanks. :) I've since cleaned these up in the lab a bit, and they take very well to sodium bicarbonate abrasion. The Spinplatyceras in particular is among the biggest I've seen from that site -- if only it wasn't missing some shell. Once I'm done prepping the PD bugs, I might finish off the HH finds.