Great White or Carcharocles Angustidens

Maxsg

Hi so Iv'e posted a picture of this tooth before but I thought it was a great white but now after seeing other teeth on instagram I'm not sure. Is it a Great White or Carcharocles Angustidens and depending on which one it is than what does that mean for my hunting spot and what it has to offer in the future gravel I dig up?

IMG_2772.JPG.3e01e441c6cb0d197fcea279e54e710d.JPG

Yeah .. definitely not a Great White tooth with the side cusps and prominent bourlette.  The next most important question is where did you find it. 

That will determine exactly what you've got.

Cheers,

Brett

received_859607837717453.jpeg.aabe95c92becb94773aa3bb29de45ced.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Maxsg said:

I found this in a private central Florida creek. what would the location really tell me?

Knowing where it was found would tell us the age of the formation it came out of. To me the tooth more closely resembles C. angustidens but it could be C. chubutensis. That is why we need to know where or the formation. We do not need an exact location. Just general area would be helpful. 

Great whites are from much younger sediments than this tooth.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

So we can determine easily it's not a white... I agree with @sixgill pete in that it resembles more of an Angistidens.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

1 hour ago, Maxsg said:

I know that it came out of miocene clay/sediment if that helps.

That's a tidbit of info that should have been included in the initial post & questions. Makes ID's a lot easier, and more likely accurate.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

2 hours ago, Maxsg said:

I found this in a private central Florida creek. what would the location really tell me?

If you had found it in southern Florida like the Peace River watershed,  it would eliminate both Auriculatus and Angustidens because neither has been found there.

It is a matter of understanding how large Carcharocles teeth are distributed across Florida.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Maxsg said:

thank you for all the help. its cool to know I found a piece of Megaladons grandad.

Nice find. When the folks on this forum ask for location we don't want to steal your "honey hole". Most of us are into other things and half the guys that collect the same material have honey holes that would, 99% of the time, put yours to shame. We'll never ask for an exact location, just the formation if known because knowing the strata it came from is a great help with identification as it will rule out species not found at that level. Sometimes just within 50 miles of the spot is enough to rule out a lot of similar species. We try to narrow it down to species if the preservation is good enough and there's enough of the specimen present. If it's a spot you want to keep to yourself don't state its exact location even to people on this forum who you trust because there are guests who read this forum and some may be less than respectable.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

9 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Nice find. When the folks on this forum ask for location we don't want to steal your "honey hole". Most of us are into other things and half the guys that collect the same material have honey holes that would, 99% of the time, put yours to shame. We'll never ask for an exact location, just the formation if known because knowing the strata it came from is a great help with identification as it will rule out species not found at that level. Sometimes just within 50 miles of the spot is enough to rule out a lot of similar species. We try to narrow it down to species if the preservation is good enough and there's enough of the specimen present. If it's a spot you want to keep to yourself don't state its exact location even to people on this forum who you trust because there are guests who read this forum and some may be less than respectable.

I totally understand what you're saying. I wasn't worried about you guys taking my honey hole. I just can't narrow it down because its the only accessible spot in the area and it wouldn't be hard for a guest to figure out my spot. I do know the formation I'm pulling these from so next time I will make sure to add that when I have a new mystery. Thank you.

• I found this Informative 1