Does anyone know what this is? I found it in Beltzville State Park, Pa, Devonian period. I’ve been told it could be snake skin, a type of Bryozoan and a certain type of tree. It’s lightweight and the bumps are very pronounced. Thank you! 

828EC389-5B44-4A5A-8FF3-61073338F105.jpeg

Edited by Ce ce

Hi,

Snake skin isn't possible in Devonian ! Too soon, they didn’t exist yet. OK for bryozoan.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I suggested bryozoan when you put this in a previous post, but was intrigued because it does not look like any bryozoan I am familiar with and I could not find anything similar in any of my references for Devonian bryozoa from that general area.  But there are thousands of species and I'm no expert, so that is not surprising, but now I see that you say it is lightweight.  Do you mean because it is small, or is it lightweight for its size, like it is not a "rock"?  Is it hard like stone?  What do the ends look like?  It almost looks hollow on that right end in the picture.  

I think it may be the base of a fenestrate colony. The fossil imprint would likely be different from that of the more distal feeding zooids.

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you.  I was looking at photos online but I can’t find anything on the base. Does it look different? 

2 hours ago, ClearLake said:

I suggested bryozoan when you put this in a previous post, but was intrigued because it does not look like any bryozoan I am familiar with and I could not find anything similar in any of my references for Devonian bryozoa from that general area.  But there are thousands of species and I'm no expert, so that is not surprising, but now I see that you say it is lightweight.  Do you mean because it is small, or is it lightweight for its size, like it is not a "rock"?  Is it hard like stone?  What do the ends look like?  It almost looks hollow on that right end in the picture.  

Hi! Thank you responding!  It is definitely not a rock and very light. Here are some more photos. 

E68D5E0C-6B7F-4752-B6C8-5DF325B5DB15.jpeg

91CB9ED6-E9AC-4250-9E5A-80A62C996E0B.jpeg

E93B63BE-9E52-482E-931B-C9D643424245.jpeg

Edited by Ce ce

This was one of the things that I was told it may be! I didn’t know for sure though because I had had other opinions! Thank you again!!