Peace river rat

Found in the Peace river today. At first I thought vert remnant, I think turtle. On each outer long side, there is a line in the middle that is very turtle like.

DSCN0094.JPG

DSCN0095.JPG

The background on the first two pics is nicely in focus, too bad the item isn't. :mellow:

Can you take some shots with the object in the sunlight? The shadowing really darkens any details.

11 minutes ago, caldigger said:

The background on the first two pics is nicely in focus, too bad the item isn't. :mellow:

Can you take some shots with the object in the sunlight? The shadowing really darkens any details.

I noticed that too. Let me try some more but I have not figured out how to focus close ups on this camera, hope these are better.

DSCN0104.JPG

DSCN0103.JPG

Don't have the background so far away. Put the item on a table or something with a plain surface. Holding the object no matter how still you think you are creates a slight movement and makes it harder for a camera to focus.

Given the thickness, it might be giant land tortoise.

( might be! )

• I found this Informative 1

I think it is a vertebra, maybe a dugongid vertebra.

Caldigger has offered useful advice.  Fingers offer some approximate scale in a photograph, but make sure to rest your hand on a stable surface like a table-top.

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Dugong ribs are so common in that area, they get tossed right back in. Also found a horse tooth, a armadillo scute and a hearbreaker of a meg. 

DSCN0096.JPG

DSCN0092.JPG   and a dollar in quarters, saw the first one, shallow and clear water, sun out, no wind and found 3 more in the same area, needless to say, I kept digging. It was a fluke, not 50 bucks or something:)

@Darktooth how are you? Wish you could of been here.