Tmfossil

Found this while working in chalk pit in Kent, can you help me identify this as this is my first fossil find, also should i chip off the white crystally covering to reveal whole fossil

many thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks like you might have an echinoid there, but the telling pic is too blurry to really tell. Also, what is the size? Take a pic of it with a ruler or tape measure if you could plesae.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Try taking the straight on shot a bit further away from the camera so that it is within the focal range.

There is nothing to chip off. The white IS the fossil. IT is an echinoid (sea urchin)!

There is a very cool, odd preservation of the inside though

• I found this Informative 2

10 minutes ago, -AnThOnY- said:

There is nothing to chip off. The white IS the fossil. IT is an echinoid (sea urchin)!

There is a very cool, odd preservation of the inside though

I agree - looks like Echinocorys. The inside is probably a flint core bearing a nice internal mould, commonly found as beach and field pebbles.

• I found this Informative 4

Tarquin

1 hour ago, TqB said:

I agree - looks like Echinocorys. The inside is probably a flint core bearing a nice internal mould, commonly found as beach and field pebbles.

I was searching for that name in my head as I was typing it and was drawing a blank, ha. Agreed.

• I found this Informative 1