What is this?

y0unggunz

Found this 40 feet down in hole in side of a rock anyone have any idea what this might be? Any help would be appreciated!

20190523_202130.jpg

Aren't the would be septa a bit too robust ?

There are sponges with this shape that might be considered.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, TqB said:

It could be the siphuncle of a nautiloid.

That would correct the scale. 

Big camerae !

not sure it has something to do with cephalopods, to me it looks man made. but I could be wrong.

do you have pictures of the situation where you found it?

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

I do ha e pictures trying to figure out how to make file size smaller so i can post i can tell you this we dug down 15 feet hit rock and jack hammered through rock another 25 feet down it fell out of a hole in the side of the rock in our hole i have also found a few arrowheads and lots of flint on this property 

13 minutes ago, y0unggunz said:

jack hammered through rock another 25 feet

Hard core diggin' !

Anyone else a bit envious ? :)

26 minutes ago, y0unggunz said:

I do ha e pictures trying to figure out how to make file size smaller so i can post 

There are a number of options you can try to resize your images. A search for that topic on the forum yields many possibilities: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/search/ (type in "photo resizing"). You can also significantly reduce the file size image by cropping to remove extraneous background. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

10 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Hard core diggin' !

Anyone else a bit envious ? :)

Absolutely! Look at that pit....Man! 

What are we building/creating? Looks pretty serious!

Regards, Chris 

A lift station 40 feet deep took us 3 weeks to get there top shelf where mini excavator was sitting is 25 feet down had to pull it in and out of the hole everyday with a crane

I could be wrong, but the features of your last picture reminds me of cone-in-cone or similar geological structures?

resize6.jpg.b5645dd193da8bb94b62d17e7dcb036f.jpg.f52f5a460259a62a235199573c31ac1a.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

21 hours ago, y0unggunz said:

Any recommendations on what i should do with this?

I'd suggest showing it to a friendly paleontologist at your nearest museum who would probably be able to identify it. I'll go along with Tarquin's appraisal. It certainly can't be man-made judging by the pristine sedimentary layers in that pit.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thank you for your info i appreciate it i didnt think it could be man made being down that far in earths crust what is tarqains appraisal?

10 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I'd suggest showing it to a friendly paleontologist at your nearest museum who would probably be able to identify it. I'll go along with Tarquin's appraisal. It certainly can't be man-made judging by the pristine sedimentary layers in that pit.

Edited by y0unggunz

On 5/24/2019 at 4:22 AM, TqB said:

the siphuncle of a nautiloid.

It would be a rather unusual preservation of this normally internal structure. It seems to be isolated from the rest of the shell of the cephalopod.

10 hours ago, Rockwood said:

It would be a rather unusual preservation of this normally internal structure. It seems to be isolated from the rest of the shell of the cephalopod.

Unusual but not unknown I believe, especially when the outer shell is fragile and the siphuncle robust. Or the septa could have been obscured/lost, as in parts of this 7" Carboniferous Pseudactinoceratid I photographed in the field.

Anyway, it was only a tentative suggestion. 

DSC01136.jpeg

Tarquin