Randyw

28 minutes ago, ParkerPaleo said:

dust-o-dont!

Love it! I think I’m going to use that when I’m refering to this one! They actually both have their own attractions! The matrix on the dustodont was so fine that the bones are almost perfect. Depending on how much of it is there it should be only bone not a bone/ matrix mix like most. The only problem are the grain of rice size pieces or smaller that I’ll never be able to fit so it won’t be perfect….

Wow! You sure have recieved a lot of WRF fossils lately! If you decide you don't want to prep one or two of them, just send them to me. :D Looking forward to seeing your progress on these, especially the dust-o-dont. 

-Micah

Edited by fossilhunter21

you are pretty brave to attack that dust-o-dont.  May the luck of a thousand 4 leaf clovers be on your side.  

• I Agree 1

I agree, @jpc! Speaking of 4 leaf clovers... Just thought I would a

share this cool picture I took a while ago of five 4 leaf clovers and one 5 leaf clover that I found: 20220420_163516.jpg.677fe60b80b506118d446b776173f4c2.jpg

-Micah

• Enjoyed 2

Well I spent most of the day going through dust-o-dont. And its going to be quite a challenge! Nothing is where it should be. It’s just like when the matrix lost integity the fossil exploded. Then the heavier pieces sifted their way towards whatever was down in the 20 years this poor thing was wrapped. My archeological approach didnt pan out well as i found a piece of what i suspect is the zygomatic arch in the upper left corner, what i think is a fragment of the pallet in the center, and another fragment of zigomatic arch that fit the first piece in the lower left corner. After sorting out all the pieces bigger then my little fingernail (bottom picture) I sifted through the dust and remaining small debris to come up with the top picture that I am still removing tiny pieces of bone from. It’s only a single layer deep so mostly there! I think I’m going to need more 4 leaf clovers. This is going to be a very long project in between my other prep jobs I think… 

8BAB761C-CEAA-4462-A8E1-E601275001CB.jpeg

9ECF3FED-4DB2-4060-94A0-843C5DE1A8CA.jpeg

Edited by Randyw
Corrected picture orientation
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

• 4 weeks later...

Started working on another oreodont skull the block it was in was broken into several pieces and glued back together by the gentleman I bought it from.the breaks go through the skull and there is both bone and teeth damage in the breaks. But its’s prepping fairly nicely as long as I’m careful. The fractures keep wanting to reopen wich has been both a help and a hinderance. But I’m happy with the skull even with all its problems and the enjoyment of prepping it is worth more to me then what I paid for it so no matter how it turns out I think it was a good deal!

the before pictures

37718201-C18D-4C53-880A-9E746367D59D.jpeg

77091F5D-1EFE-4AAF-AAE0-62B250BC5BBE.jpeg

AEDD2B8A-011C-4BE8-BFBA-12A23F3AED04.jpeg

FF7F6809-5887-4D1A-B129-5DE8136E111D.jpeg

86CE3603-CF0D-4460-8DA6-22DABB2BBBA9.jpeg

B74F50BE-9A01-4754-8B3C-0E3EF1839A84.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

Oh! And don’t worry I still fiddle with dust-odont too! But it’s really really slooooow work!