Randyw

One semantic observation. Overburden would generally be used to describe soil or rock that needs to be removed in order to expose a fossil bearing member. You're doing matrix removal since it is the fossil bearing member you are clearing off the bones. I know, pretty pedantic but I'm not good for too much else. :P

Either way, you are doing well!

1 minute ago, Ptychodus04 said:

One semantic observation. Overburden would generally be used to describe soil or rock that needs to be removed in order to expose a fossil bearing member. You're doing matrix removal since it is the fossil bearing member you are clearing off the bones. I know, pretty pedantic but I'm not good for too much else. :P

I know but I couldn’t think of a better word for it! :heartylaugh:

• I found this Informative 1

13 hours ago, Randyw said:
13 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I know but I couldn’t think of a better word for it! :heartylaugh:

One would think that dirt is dirt but Ptychodus is right on the money with this semantic observation.  Now, ive got to go into my garage and remove lots of overburden so I can get to work on removing the matrix.  :)

RB

• I found this Informative 3

I know the difference between matrix and dirt. Like I said I just used it becuase it was handy at the minute. As you’ve seen in previous posts of mine I usually use the correct terminology 

Boy Mother Nature and the previous owner sure wasn’t kind to poor little nida.i got a chance to work on her some more today for a couple hours and I’m thinking she’s not as complete as I thought. I’m using an electric engraver to get close to but not touch the bones then using my scrapers picks etc to get down to bone. But I’m starting to fear there may not be anything behind the eyes and the front section where he broke it is heavily damaged around the breaks. The bones are 2 different colors one a nice yellowish easy to see (when wet) and another that almost exactly matches the matrix. It also looks like the skull was kind of broken up prefossilisation. This matrix is really not being kind.

B2CEDBA8-D08F-4BBC-AA59-F9301BAD427F.jpeg

645ADC32-DF2A-4878-BBE4-17480D463D1A.jpeg

4309D600-0E5E-486E-A9D0-58A3239366EC.jpeg

Well unfortunately we can only work with what we have and the end result may not be a perfect specimen. But fossils aren't always going to be text book museum pieces. 

We aren't expecting it to be nice and whole given the circumstances. Do what you can with it. We are still enjoying the process and progress. :dinothumb:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

As tough as this is turning out to be I’m still loving the prep and no matter how it turns out there’s a place for it on my Oreodont shelf. I think that the fact that I’m enjoying the challenge on this one proves I was dropped on my head one to many times as a baby! :heartylaugh:

3 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It may still be there posterior to the orbits. Sometimes, the bone is crushed weird. Then again, it may be gone as suspected.

I’m hoping so. The leptachenia has such a weird skull anything could be hiding in there yet

1 hour ago, Randyw said:

I think that the fact that I’m enjoying the challenge on this one proves I was dropped on my head one to many times as a baby! :heartylaugh:

The fact that you are prepping fossils proves this. :P

7 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

The fact that you are prepping fossils proves this. :P

:default_rofl:

especially when you consider I’ve got a.c.o.s. A lung disease where the dust could kill me! But I enjoy it so!

2 minutes ago, Randyw said:

:default_rofl:

especially when you consider I’ve got a.c.o.s. A lung disease where the dust could kill me! But I enjoy it so!

Get a $40 P100 rated respirator from your local hardware store. Eventually, the dust from prepping will kill anyone, with or without a preexisting condition. I started prepping without one and quickly realized that my lungs would thank me later if I made smart decisions in the present.

My fossil prepping setup. My wife laughs at me when she sees me wearing it. But if I forget it man does she give me heck about it!

F1089EC7-C0AA-4840-B266-F613EFE12409.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

3 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Get a $40 P100 rated respirator from your local hardware store. Eventually, the dust from prepping will kill anyone, with or without a preexisting condition. I started prepping without one and quickly realized that my lungs would thank me later if I made smart decisions in the present.

That’s for danged sure! Everyone needs to take precautions!

On 6/18/2019 at 7:38 AM, Randyw said:

I know the difference between matrix and dirt. Like I said I just used it becuase it was handy at the minute. As you’ve seen in previous posts of mine I usually use the correct terminology

Do not fret my friend, I was just goofin around.  Id say you are doing a very good job and im sad for you that the back end of the skull looks not to be there.  Dang!   This kind of thing has happened to every preparator for the last 200 years. 

RB

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

Do not fret my friend, I was just goofin around.  Id say you are doing a very good job and im sad for you that the back end of the skull looks not to be there.  Dang!   This kind of thing has happened to every preparator for the last 200 years. 

RB

:dinothumb: it’s all good!

4 hours ago, Randyw said:

F1089EC7-C0AA-4840-B266-F613EFE12409.jpeg

Randy, how strong is the magnification on those specs and how well do you like them?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

It comes with 5 interchangeable lenses. 1.0x 1.5x 2.0x 2.5x and 3.0x. I normally use the 2.0x when I’m prepping larger fossils. It comes with 2 led lights built in and interchangeable earpieces or a headband for holding it on. (I prefer the headband.) with my glasses I had to take off the nose piece and put a little pad where it was. They do fairly well for costing 16.79 at a selling site that starts with an A and has free shipping on orders over $25 shipped by them. I like the fact I can look through other magnifying glasses with them on if I want higher magnification.

Nida has a brain! Well a braincase anyway! My goal today was to find out and it’s there! :yay-smiley-1::raindance::raindance:and with the bad side having it I’m hopefull the protected side will be even better!!

56CC9943-AB6D-4CCC-8F36-B625FB0D9F33.jpeg

3A0E1595-58E0-4890-B7B5-53BAC5906ECF.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Randyw said:

Nida has a brain! Well a braincase anyway!

Well at least you know she wasn't an "Airhead"!  :default_rofl:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Yay! Good thing you didn’t give up!

I’m also glad to see your respirator! Lungs aren’t easily interchangeable. My setup looks similar.

ABEA4A90-F5C0-4C13-8A4C-F1C5B68E910F.thumb.jpeg.bf7ad8e764daaeceeaec1c3c7dfb03de.jpeg

I just don’t have the glasses because I use a 5x magnifying lens/lamp combo.

• I found this Informative 2

Ok...I’ve got a question... all along I’ve thought this was a leptauchenia natida. But I’ve been noticing some problems with that. On the teeth they are thinner and the enamel runs under the gum line also the nasal bones are thinner then they should be and the whole thing it a little smaller and less robust then you’d expect. All of these are signs of a sespia natida. Wich is a species of dwarf Oreodont. What are your thoughts?

The top picture is a leptauchenia the bottom is a line drawing of sespia skulls the sespia natida or the sespia Marianae closest matches my skull...I haven’t found a good picture of their skulls yet...

C10EFD17-3527-472D-90A8-4A3ACE6E5480.jpeg

AFAE38AE-CE03-4AF2-8445-E65EF7E73D05.jpeg

Sorry buddy, this last file doesnt seem to want to open.

Dorensigbadges.JPG