Randyw

Weird it opens for me.... sometimes I wish I wasn’t so computer illiterate 

• 1 month later...

Finally got to get back to my little nida today. I only got to work on her for about 3 hours and I’m mainly concentrating on the left side of her face today. Most of the progress today was cutting down some of the big block of matrix covering this side but I did do a little along her upper and lower jaw. The picture is showing her wet becuase the bones stand out better that way. I’m off for 2 more days so I’m hoping to get to work on her most of that time.

7D7A200E-DA57-480F-8EBB-A92F7A47D112.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

LOL! No flirting for little nida! She’s been being shy and it’s been a struggle to get her uncovered! Maybe if I give her a little more wine and compliments will help. 

The previous owner is supposed to be trying to find the pieces he lost when he broke it but I haven’t heard anything in over a month so I’m not hopefull.

8 minutes ago, Randyw said:

The previous owner is supposed to be trying to find the pieces he lost when he broke it but I haven’t heard anything in over a month so I’m not hopefull.

Ya, I wouldnt hold your breath on that...you may pass out! :blink:

Of course it would have been better to have the block in whole condition to work with, but you seem to have a good portion there.  May require a bit of fill in the end to close the gaps. But a lot of that White River material is like that. 

Looking good so far.  Enjoying the show! :popcorn:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

i got to put in another couple hours on little nida today.unfortunatly I was like a hound dog Chasing squirrels! All over the place! Oooo there’s an interesting bit let’s work there for a while..ooo there’s an arch, let’s follow it! LOL! Looking at this I’m a little confused. There’s obvious damage from either rodents or predation with some missing pieces but it’s articulated so I’m thinking it’s from during or just after death but before decaying. There’s damage to the nasal area in top the small bones are broken but present, parts of the eye orbits are missing but at least a couple pieces are within the orbit. And it looks chewed on the cheek and remaining side skull arches and crown on top of the “crest” and back edges of the skull and a lot of fractures especially on top. still a long ways to go!

3C36BAD6-5579-426A-842B-83BDF83D1414.jpeg

A75AE563-3A48-494D-BA8C-7CF6AC437ED4.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Glad to see you had some time to work on her Randy! :) Sooner or later she will reveal all her secrets! 

Side note...

We just had a Harbor Freight open up in my town last week! Now I don’t have to drive 45+ minutes to get to one. I’m in trouble...lol  I was able to pick up their air eraser and an engraver. I hope to try my hand at this stuff soon. Not much time this week, but hopefully next week. Got any more of those Oreodonts just laying around? :P

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

18 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

Got any more of those Oreodonts just laying around? :P

LOL! Nope! This is my last unprepared one! And the only reason I have it is becuase it was given to me when the previous owner broke it! I’ve got a half dozen others that I need to finish up some time. They are pictured on the first page. I remember when I used to be able to find unprepared skulls for $30-50 on the auction sites! I’m currently talking to a place that has different quality unprepared skulls but I haven’t tried them yet.

24 minutes ago, Randyw said:

LOL! Nope! This is my last unprepared one! And the only reason I have it is becuase it was given to me when the previous owner broke it! I’ve got a half dozen others that I need to finish up some time. They are pictured on the first page. I remember when I used to be able to find unprepared skulls for $30-50 on the auction sites! I’m currently talking to a place that has different quality unprepared skulls but I haven’t tried them yet.

Ok. Ok. Guess I’ll have to live vicariously through you... Keep up the good work and I’ll sit back and watch the magic unfold! 

:popcorn: :thumbsu: 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

:heartylaugh:wish I had some magic! Nida’s been fighting me all the way! I’ve got about 20 hours into it now Or maybe a bit more... of course I’ve been having to be extra careful around where he broke it and around the damaged areas. I’m hoping to be able to figure out what’s been gnawing on it. ( not likely I know)

It’s very cool to think that you found evidence of something gnawing on the skull millions of years ago when the animal died ( or as it died). It never ceases to amaze me what we can learn from fossils.   

Nida may be a hard matrixed cold hearted bleep but she has done me one kindness. The matrix on the back of the skull is not stuck hard on the bone. When I get within a millimeter or two it pops off leaving the bone beautiful and clean! Now getting to that last millimeter almost takes dynamite!

Day 3 update. I got to put another 3 hours or so into her. Now I’m seeing some progress

BF562396-9123-42BD-8A08-45885E1C2237.jpeg

D4E0AF68-A4F0-4A36-B0B1-E440F223DD4F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Randy, wouldn't the prep go faster if you just use a chisel and a hand sledge? :default_rofl:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

:default_rofl::heartylaugh: that’s how he messed it up to begin with! No thank you I’ll just keep puttering along and not damaging her anymore if you please (or if you don’t please) :heartylaugh:

but dang it’s tempting sometimes!

Randy, you are doing really well, working at your own pace. Whenever you say the prep's done, you can count on our applause on a job well done. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Looking good Randy! You have made some real progress over the last few days. :thumbsu: