Randyw

Another day another couple hours. Now that I’m making some progress I can start to debate on how I want to finish it. I know I’ve got a ways to go yet. I’m debating leaving some of the matrix on as a base/stand but I’m open for ideas. If this was yours would you take it completely out of the matrix or leave part of it on? Obviously I’m leaving the matrix inside the eye sockets and nasal passages and inside the skull itself for 1) strength (poor nidas fragile) and 2) to leave the displaced broken pieces in place. The really fine nasal bones and the piece of brow that’s in the socket itself I think tell part of her story. Also she stands out better when wet so I’m thinking of using something on her to simulate that. Any suggestions? I normally don’t need to finish my skulls with anything but this time I’m looking for the contrast I think. All my pictures are of her wet becuase she shows better that way I think

49ACEAC8-E728-4520-9CCB-C0EF03BDE844.jpeg

6C806EF3-3A5C-4A85-842A-B27B1252495C.jpeg

D99C5998-98B5-4B7E-BF74-44C3E8CA1740.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Also. I have a question in this photo it looks like something may have punctured the skull (1) and the part ( #2) appears elevated somewhat in the direction of the arrow. The small chips around the possible puncture are displaced inward and kind of towards the snout. I’m wondering if this could be nidas fatal injury? It appears like (if it came from the angle I suspect) that it would have angled into the back of the brain. I’m still cleaning it though to see if the missing piece of skull is in there or not. What are your thoughts?

BADAE014-9D35-489D-ADA9-AC438E75A366.jpeg

I like the idea of leaving a little matrix on for a base, but that’s just my personal preference (for various reasons). One reason is it’s proof that it was actually in a rock, but you will have strengthening matrix inside the sockets so that may be good enough for my tastes. 

I see the possible puncture wound you mentioned. Very interesting! I’d be curious to know if the fragments are buried deeper like you say. Very cool!

Nida is looking very lovely I must say! :wub:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Nice patient work there @Randyw

I’d love to have a go st prepping one if these one day.

how hard is the rock? Guess it can vary a lot.

4 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Nice patient work there @Randyw

I’d love to have a go st prepping one if these one day.

how hard is the rock? Guess it can vary a lot.

It can vary a lot. Nida here has a matrix that’s harder then my other Oreodont skulls had. One skull I worked on about 6 months back had a matrix that was soft enough I could do the whole prep with steel picks. Nida here has already dulled an engraver point and I’ll probably have to resharpen another by the time I’m done. But it’s very rewarding, anyone whose got a little experience prepping and wants to move up to skulls would probably do well with one. Oreodonts are fairly common and still moderately affordable especially if you start with a partial or lower quality skull for your first one. Even partials can look really nice on your shelf.

• 4 weeks later...

New update! I finally got to put some more time in on nida! She even has some of her neck vertebrae! And now for a shocker. I believe Nita was murdered! Dun dun daaaa! Along with the suspected hole in the head at least 1 of the vertebrae is broken! They aren’t fully prepped yet so they don’t show well in the pictures. This has been a challenging prep but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it. Still a ways to go but the end is finally in sight!

F0AC3DEC-A544-4A97-BC00-84F239F393BF.jpeg

C1809F14-711D-4406-9832-A1425FAE3387.jpeg

A35A445E-7FCF-48C4-B132-71D0076F56BE.jpeg

Oh no! Murdered?!?! The plot thickens...:o

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

It was those zombie Oreodonts trying to get at some nice fresh brains! :default_faint: 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Looking good! That rock looks really had for White River Formation, but at least that seems to mean really nice preservation!

This looks like murder....... (Put on sunglasses).....White River Style

image.gif.6c066c0723d336a5acbc8af2eaec345c.gif

19 hours ago, Randyw said:

I believe Nita was murdered!

Murder! There may be a serial killer amok in the White River environs! The lovely Oreodont, Lucinda was also sent to that great grassland in the sky by some fiend. The images (not for the faint of heart) of her grievous injuries may be found on page two of the linked account. The perpetrator has yet to be named; although it would appear the malefactor has struck once more!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

8 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Looking good! That rock looks really had for White River Formation, but at least that seems to mean really nice preservation!

This looks like murder....... (Put on sunglasses).....White River Style

image.gif.6c066c0723d336a5acbc8af2eaec345c.gif

It is! This matrix is harder then most of my skulls have been!

9 hours ago, RJB said:

Id say youve doen a wonderful job Randy but why leave the matrix in the eye sockets?  

RB

Oh I’m not completely leaving it. I’m sorry if I gave that impression.  I’ve still got probably 15-20 hours of work to go or more.  I’m going to clear them down more but there are some chips and pieces that have been displaced into the eyes and nasal cavities that I’m going to work around. for instance maybe make little pedestals because I like what they add to her story. I’ve still got to do more around the vertebrae and the back of the skull and the close in work in the sockets and nasal passages and around the skull itself in the nooks and crannies. I’m just at the point where I’m going to transition from gross bulk matrix removal into the finer beauty work. And I’ll finish up by smoothing whatever matrix I leave

FEB40932-4C74-4E6D-9C87-9C0E45543EED.jpeg

7FBFBEE3-C86F-4376-9EEE-9482B53E5EBE.jpeg

I sat down to work on nida today. But last night I worked on gluing my 3 new skulls together so they were sitting on my work bench. I figured what the heck I’ll take a few test strokes to see what the matrix was like. O.M.G beautifully soft matrix. My engraver was cutting through it like a sharp knife through a good steak! Before I knew it three hours had passed...all the time I had available today...but don’t worry poor nida didn’t get neglected. The proceedings were all carried out under her watchful eye....er...sockets. Of course you know what soft matrix means. Soft matrix soft fossil it was a case of having the tool in one hand and the glue in the other. But all in all an enjoyable time Spent  prepping.

And now I present Quasimodo! Quasi for short! It’s the one in the middle picture above. He has extreme damage to the right hand side of his face it’s been crushed in. I can’t decide what could have done it! The right eye socket is fully rotated that eye is actually looking up! And now without further ado! Quasi!

ABE08939-541A-4E6D-B29B-0C9FA282677E.jpeg

0B59B9D6-4708-4836-8AE3-8AB3CF7224ED.jpeg

I still need to finish attaching the extra pieces in the package and I’ve got the rest of the matrix that I didn’t see anything in soaking so it’ll be easier to break up looking for other small bones or stuff.

EFA39976-DD0C-408A-9C8E-598239CBE50E.jpeg

always nice to have more projects to work on.   I like the way you name your fossils.  I used to do that.   Your doing a great job too.

RB