What is this ammonoid

AstroRaptor56

Here’s something I found in Michigan, it’s an ammonoid of some type but I thought it was too wide to be a goniatite, I could be wrong though.

D3E8D3A6-E614-4EA3-A5F3-DF391E6E740D.jpeg

6 hours ago, AstroRaptor56 said:

Here’s something I found in Michigan, it’s an ammonoid of some type but I thought it was too wide to be a goniatite, I could be wrong though.

Goniatites can be very wide, do you have pictures of the side and the back?

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Maybe a nautiloid if it isn't a goniatite but I agree with need other angles. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Without some side pics, my guess would be the same as Tiggysdad.  Nautiloid.

RB

6BEAFEB5-65C0-404C-A00F-4DA5C0FAB29F.thumb.jpeg.563423ddb996ee6480e9fd4a3cbcf1d6.jpeg

Here’s the better of the two sides on it.

Edited by AstroRaptor56
  • I found this Informative 1

Very nice specimen. Congrats.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Certainly looks like a nautiloid. Spiral specimens are not all that common in the Palaeozoic. Can you please tell us more exactly where in Michigan this was found?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 5/25/2019 at 4:04 AM, Ludwigia said:

Certainly looks like a nautiloid. Spiral specimens are not all that common in the Palaeozoic. Can you please tell us more exactly where in Michigan this was found?

I found it in West Michigan near Holland. It was just laying on the ground that had been dug up for construction. Ive found various other crinoids and goniatites in the clay that's been dug up too. A lot of the time the clay and dirt will get dug up and moved to a field nearby and the rain washes away the dirt and clay and all kinds of different fossils and interesting rocks are revealed. Usually its been dug up from anywhere between 15-30 ft down, maybe even deeper sometimes, but I've also found some coral just in a corn field. This has been one of the best ones I've found yet though.

Edited by AstroRaptor56

1 minute ago, AstroRaptor56 said:

I found it in West Michigan near Holland. It was just laying on the ground that had been dug up for construction. Ive found various other crinoids and goniatites in the clay that's been dug up too. A lot of the time the clay and dirt will get dug up and moved to a field nearby and the rain washes away the dirt and clay and all kinds of different fossils and interesting rocks are revealed. This has been one of the best ones I've found yet though.

Lucky You, make good use of this temporary situation and save as many of those fossils as You can.

Have fun!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

Lucky You, make good use of this temporary situation and save as many of those fossils as You can.

Have fun!

I will! And dont worry I've been collecting quite a bit from this opportunity!

9 hours ago, AstroRaptor56 said:

I found it in West Michigan near Holland. It was just laying on the ground that had been dug up for construction. Ive found various other crinoids and goniatites in the clay that's been dug up too. A lot of the time the clay and dirt will get dug up and moved to a field nearby and the rain washes away the dirt and clay and all kinds of different fossils and interesting rocks are revealed. Usually its been dug up from anywhere between 15-30 ft down, maybe even deeper sometimes, but I've also found some coral just in a corn field. This has been one of the best ones I've found yet though.

Must be Mississipian then. Here's a link to an older thread that may help you further:

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/