Prehistoric Crocodile 2.0

Dwinge28

Better photos of my findings I think it’s the  fragments of the plates of a sarcosuchus but I’m no expert by any means I’m curious about the long fragments on the bottom row I found literally with the plate fragments curious to see if it belongs to the animal as well 

found 

summerville South Carolina 

dorchester creek

B784CC53-5B27-4802-B938-FDB2509D253C.jpeg

Your bone fragments look marine and the long ones are possible ribs or vertebrae processes probably from cetaceans.

FYI, Sarcosuchus is a Cretaceous croc found in Africa

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you so much @Troodon  I definitely have more reading to do !! thank you for your id on my findings 

The reason I stated prehistoric croc because another collector who said he was with the  local  museum stated they found a crocodile in the formation I was currently in and I was even more convinced when  I compared it to these plates I own from an alligator 

0BAB2A08-5FA7-4A6F-AB7E-409BEA105AB2.jpeg

Crocodile by Ikea

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

1 hour ago, Dwinge28 said:

found a crocodile in the formation

Yep .. there have been crocodile fossils found in and around Summerville in the Chandler Bridge/Ashley fm.  One I believe, looking at my images, was Gavialosuchus carolinensis. (aka. Thecachampsa antiqua )

My assumption also is that most of anything from the Pleistocene is Alligator in the Southeast (?) .. those osteoderms having a more pronounced 'hump'

Cheers,

Brett

Edit: found my other link/more info - https://www.charlestonmuseum.org/news-events/crocodile/?fbclid=IwAR2vAx8HdhgGO6ZaqSEH7Bqm4g895E242Oak2IDG7_MGFV9Kx9IHaFnUH8c

" This very large (18 feet long to be exact) crocodile lived among the rivers and estuaries of the Coastal Plain of South Carolina 28 to 30 million years ago. The original skeleton from which this cast was made was excavated by The Charleston Museum in Trailwood Trailer Park on Dorchester Road in 1978. "

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Dwinge28 said:

The reason I stated prehistoric croc because another collector who said he was with the  local  museum stated they found a crocodile in the formation I was currently in and I was even more convinced when  I compared it to these plates I own from an alligator 

Thats a croc scute.  Better pictures always help with an ID.