Show Us Your Coral

Frank Menser

FrigginsDiggins.... It depends on its size really.... and your patience... different grades of wet & dry if its not to fiddly, maybe starting at 400 Grit and going to 1200 grit... I go in 200 grit increments, although they suggest smaller jumps to make you buy more paper......followed by a waxing... if you want anymore specific information your welcome to IM me .......Id look for someone nearby whose into lapidry.... you will get a good gloss but retain all the detail, off a buffing wheel.... and Id see if you have a local fossil and mineral collecting club... sometimes they chip together to buy expensive equipment that you can use if your a member.... coupled with the experience there as well, you couldnt fail....I wouldnt rush into it doing it yourself before youve checked.... ;)

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Nice pic indeed, Figgins. Sure looks like formanifera to me, but I would welcome any more knowledgeable insights on that as I have a Devonian piece that looks almost identical to yours.

I see another tutorial coming Terry....'How to polish fossil stuff'. :D I may even throw in a post or 2 on that topic myself as I am working on polishing a clam fragment fossil for a client ATM. ;)

Thanks for the great info, Bear. Here's a little better picture of that bottom right specimen. I googled formanifera this evening. Interesting creatures.

Isn't this a Chain Coral (Halysites)?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

'' Bear....I see another tutorial coming Terry....'How to polish fossil stuff'. :D I may even throw in a post or 2 on that topic myself as I am working on polishing a clam fragment fossil for a client ATM. ;)''

Go for it Bear.... I know for a fact I can learn a lot from you about polishing rock....... tag it on the prep thread if you so wish, your very welcome.... I cant wait to read it... ;)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I think there has been reference to "formanifera" in this thread. Isn't the word you want "foraminifera" - "foram" for short!

See I thought "Foraminifera" refered to someone with a really scary 'inny' belly button... :P

Be true to the reality you create.

Isn't this a Chain Coral (Halysites)?

All of your guyses corals are fantastic! Smilodon i love those agatized corals those are sweeeet!

Rozzilla that branching coral is really nice i believe the bottom picture is a pipe organ coral

Iskandar all i can say is WOW!

figginsdiggins Yes it is most definatly chain link coral. I have a Pritty nice specimin of this coral too, that I found in MI. I also have another piece of horm coral that is about 3.5 in tall. It came from the same creeks as the Crinoids. I also have a very rare(even though it doenst look like much) species of horn coral, Dibonophylum bipartium, from MI that the individuals at the Chicago Field Museum said is one of the largets pieces that they have ever seen. They wanted me to donate it but it is one of the first fossils I found when I was 14 so Im kinda attached to it

:D

post-1179-12555380130575_thumb.jpg post-1179-12555380598869_thumb.jpgpost-1179-1255538036268_thumb.jpg

Ah, so we are for sure that it is a chain coral and not a foraminifera colony? *crosses his fingers* Sorry about the spelling....one of my many failings is frequent misspellings, usually of important words. I likely won't get much better though.....will try. ;)

Here is mine.

gallery_2209_563_52021.jpg

and a side view. I found this one in Hungry Hollow, Ontario.

gallery_2209_563_192213.jpg

I gotta admit it was pretty strange having the whole look of the place change as I was posting this up......looks good though. :)

Edited by Bear

Wow!! Im not much for coral, but some of you folks have some really nice specimens!!! And Frank, that big one over a foot across is very impressive. Wish I had one like that. I do have some coral but nothing I have personaly gone out and hunted for, sad to say. Here are some pics of some coral pieces where I broke down and bought them.

RB

post-171-12556387846011_thumb.jpg

post-171-12556388351901_thumb.jpg

post-171-12556388723222_thumb.jpg

post-171-12556389387386_thumb.jpg

All of you have some really nice specimens.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Great fossils you all. Here's another Halysites sp. from the Silurian in Indiana and Astrocaenia hyatti Wells from the Jurassic in Montana. Regards, Chris

post-1240-12557512740538_thumb.jpg

post-1240-12557513521425_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Here are some cabochons I cut from a couple of chunks of Indonesian fossil coral.

post-210-12745475340308_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am always on the hunt for common fossils that will prep out nicely. I found this one at the Paulding, Ohio (Devonian, Silica Shale) quarry earlier this year. It is the coral Heliophullum halli. A VERY common fossil but rarely is it complete from tip to cup. This one is complete. Unfortunately, in my excitement to cleaning it, I started cleaning without taking a "before" picture and only remember about half way through the prep process. Here are the photos.

post-391-1275492369937_thumb.jpg post-391-12754923899888_thumb.jpg

Two Sahara desert horn corals:

post-62-1275493619175_thumb.jpg

post-62-12754936646998_thumb.jpg

Two Calceola Sandalina from Sahara aswell:

post-62-12754937634649_thumb.jpg

A Diploctenium Fallotii from Catalonian Cretaceous:

post-62-12754939305421_thumb.jpg

And two Cunnolites Undulata, from the same site and age:

post-62-12754941260204_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

This is a beautiful Pennsylvanian coral collected by a friend near Moscow, Russia

Aulopora macrostoma (Fischer)

Gzhelian Stage, Rusavkian substage

Gzhel quarry, Gzhel village

post-6417-0-26539400-1325604802_thumb.jpg post-6417-0-23223600-1325604812_thumb.jpg

The yellowish and orange color is from small amounts of iron oxides staining the rock

and fossil. Look closely at the orange masses in the coral skeleton; they are small

concretionary growths of silica that have replaced the calcite skeleton, in the growth

form known as beekite rings.

Carboniferous fossils of Russia - Website Link

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show