Show Us Your Coral

Frank Menser

On 10/7/2012 at 11:31 PM, astron said:

late miocene Crete island, Greece, favites sp. coral bearing some juvenile scleractinian corals of another type onto it.

post-4345-0-40813600-1349670662_thumb.jpg

Those babies are just so cute!!!

This is very informative too. I guess the little gametes (or whatever baby coral are called) didn’t want to leave home so they just started up their new residence right on top of the parents dwelling.

I hope my kids at least move out or a few blocks over. 

DSCN9418.JPG

DSCN9420.JPG

DSCN9422.JPG

DSCN9435.JPG

DSCN9439.JPG 

It shows six cycles of septa compact. Large trabeculae. Septa of younger cycles are short and was conected to the septa of preceding ones. Septa distal edge strongly dentated and lateral face of septa with granules. Septa thinner towards the center. Synapticulae absent.

• I found this Informative 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/4/2017 at 7:02 AM, ynot said:

That appears to be what Kim is saying, but Your piece is not a coral. There are no features of a coral in it.

It is a Porphyritic igneous rock.

Here is a polished horn coral from Utah.

DSCF5340.thumb.JPG.adfcf120a5f6e12aa9cb5e8ebd7298fe.JPG

Hey Tony, I guess I missed this first time around, but I have a similar piece that was also said to be 'horn coral from Utah'... According to the info I have gleaned, it's apparently from the Pennsylvanian Morgan Fm, Riley's Canyon (9000' elev.), Summit Co, Utah. ID might be Lophophyllidium sp.  You could put that all down as possible data. There can't be many locations where 'jasperized' horn corals occur.