Found these at one place on the Yukon River, Alaska!!!

jssbastiat

Found these all laying around the same area by an old creek flowing from the mountains into the Yukon River, Alaska!  it was like a nest of them!  Lots of round rocks near this creek as well, then angles bedrock  surrounding this creek area...the rounder ones are very heavy!  Working on better pictures with a scale, weight, etc for identification....

in the upper left hand corner by the hand, the larger dark rock has 'rib' markings as well as the rock below it...then the small rock in the left upper corner by the hand seems to be fossilized bone or tusk...

then the smallest round rock in the upper right corner is a smaller version of the larger....

the cross section of the broken one seems to have an outer shell of 1/4" thick shell, BUT.....

and there are mineralized deposits on the outside as well as in the cracks of a couple of these...the 'broken' rock in the bottom left is a good example of the mineralization (I'm a sped teacher!, so don't take me to task for my lack of knowledge and terms!)

BUT, these will look cool in my sauna!!!!  The heavy ones are like cannon balls! 

getPart?uid=ANKZcEMkb-QJXOmW0QJ8uA46OSE&partId=2&saveAs=image1.jpeg&scope=STANDARD

Nope, no photo for me either. How many real cannonballs have you lifted? I would advise against putting anything in your sauna until you know exactly what it is. Some rocks/minerals may contain chemicals/poisons that will make your life miserable in a hurry.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Other rocks you might want to put in a sauna can explode.  Also making your life miserable in a hurry.  

PS, I cannot see the pix either.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, jpc said:

Other rocks you might want to put in a sauna can explode.  Also making your life miserable in a hurry.  

PS, I cannot see the pix either.

What jpc said, rocks that have been in water a lot can explode when heated due to internal moisture.  Some may just pop in 2 but some will EXPLODE! If not sure, put into fire ring and cook for a while to see how they handle the heating. Our last beach trip included a bbq and we ended up cleaning stone chips from our steaks :)

• I found this Informative 2

sent one to Univ of Ak/Fairbanks today!  Got a buddy that has a friend that teaches there....I'm in the Alaskan bush, so no roads to drive it out!  Had to fly it out at $1 a pound!

we shall see~!

have your buddy in Fairbanks bring it to the Museum of the North on campus. There are folks there in paleontology who can tell you what you've found.  

Isn't life amazing nowadays? You can be sitting in the bush miles from nowhere, communicate with strangers over vast distances and get things flown out at your whim.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Concretions for sure.  Would be interesting to see what may be inside?  Good luck

RB

Best of luck with the concretions! I live in Hamilton, Ontario but this is the first time I’ve red a report that deals with a river that runs in the Yukon Territory/state of Alaska.