ankylosaurus club?

WERTY

Location location location...I have 2 acres of my yard on a floodplain.  In the middle is the source of a spring, and the far edge there is a creek.   Atlanta is near, about 10 miles to the east.   Etowah Indian Mounds are to the west about 10 miles.  There was also a civil war battle in my yard as well. Plenty of bullets found there still.  As I do metal detecting I decided to pull all strange looking "rocks" and put them in various piles.  I've done this for the past 2 years and I have quite a mess..or eh, treasure.  I just let the rain weather off the thick Georgia clay from the "rock piles" over the span of time and finally have something to show.

I'll need a considerable amount of space to put the pictures of all the things I've found, but this forum is only allowing me a small amount right now.

Check my last photo against the one Troodon posted here and let me know if you also think they are from the same beautiful beast. Mine is almost a foot long and half a foot wide and weighs just under 1 Thor's hammer.   Actually - it weighs 18 pounds. That's about 3 pounds heavier than the egg shaped thing I found near it (not pictured).

Anky Club1.jpg

(note: pic above is from Troodon's thread here: "http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/81257-my-jurassic-park-ankylosauria-hell-creeklance-formation/"

As compared to pics from my yard below:

20190525_213406.jpg

20190525_213435.jpg

I think the only dinosaur fragments in Georgia would be late Cretaceous on the coastal plains.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

It matches location, time period, size, shape, coloration...and is found with a number of other fragments.  Not sure what more is needed...lol   I've been told that people selling fragments desire for scarcity so that there is no pressure of downward pricing.  Then again, there will also be those that don't want dino's being here in the bible belt and would love nothing more for them to stay in HellCreek! lol   I think I understand how this works.  "If you have to ask, then the answer is nope" :)

cretaceous period.jpg

http://www.ankylosaurus.org/wmc_cretaceousseaway.jpg

wmc_cretaceousseaway.jpg

Edited by WERTY
clarity

Does it hurt the paradigm when you have axe marks all over the specimens? :) 

I wish I could post more than 3mb's at a time.  I finally learned the name to the hexagonal "turtle shell" pieces..."scutes"! 

20190317_141818.jpg

Atlanta and the surrounding area are generally underlain by much older and non-sedimentary rocks so it is very unlikely they will be fossil bearing, especially with dinosaurs. I have to agree with the other responders, your rocks look very geologic (as opposed to biologic) and do not appear to be fossils. 

• I found this Informative 1

23 minutes ago, ClearLake said:

Atlanta and the surrounding area are generally underlain by much older and non-sedimentary rocks so it is very unlikely they will be fossil bearing, especially with dinosaurs. I have to agree with the other responders, your rocks look very geologic (as opposed to biologic) and do not appear to be fossils. 

Plus one, and more.

No bone marrow or tooth enamel.

I'm next to a place that once had "Crater lake" as part of its name before it was filled in with dirt.  So perhaps a meteorite displaced some things. 

I defer to the details I gave and source I cited, which indicates my location as viable regardless.

I further provide evidence of recent paradigm shifting with this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerutti_Mastodon_site

As for more, yeah I get it. Even the possible hominid tooth will just be dismissed as it "looks like a rock". I may have enough to open my own museum.   Say what you may, but if it looks/walks/quacks like a duck then my money is on a duck. 

1128171358.jpg

Edited by WERTY

So you’re not posting the item to obtain an ID, but to simply confirm what you believe it to be? :headscratch:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Sorry. Not trying to kick a man while he’s down but they look geologic. If you zoom in on the broken piece of troodons club you see sign of bone.marrow, cellular structure etc. all signs of organic origin. when you zoom in on yours you see.... more rock...

13 minutes ago, WERTY said:

I defer to the details I gave and source I cited, which indicates my location as viable regardless.

A very nice website on Ankylosaurus. But the website clearly says they have only been found in Laramidia sediments, not Appalachia (where Georgia is).   So, if the rock is as you suggest, I would take it to the nearest museum as you have a first. 

8 minutes ago, Kane said:

So you’re not posting the item to obtain an ID, but to simply confirm what you believe it to be? :headscratch:

I don’t know  it’s that so much as he was really excited and now the disappointment is coming through..

One can never be sure on the internet if someone is telling the truth.  Perhaps we can agree to that?  I believe there are multiple possibilities. Sometimes a person has multiple accounts as well as like-minded friends whom support them.  I understand the reasonings. Let's not get into a boring debate about echo chambers.  

The confrontation I received implies anything I might ever discuss could not be of interest or could assist in any way.  No big deal. Perhaps someone else will come along one day with a similar find and can learn from this, or make a perfect match for my pics.

Edited by WERTY

Now that I thought about it, my original idea was that you guys must think I sculpted it to have the specific shape/size/external coloration etc to so nicely match the comparison.  

It didnt take me too long to figure out the real problem.  Holy cow.

The cycles.  Yeah these bones must get incinerated every so often, therefore they don't have the marrow interior so much anymore.  The other places have just been lucky, and you guys are gatekeepers of the knowledge of those cycles. 

Well played.

Great...just great.  Looks like we're due for another blast from the past.  Hmmm...calculating..27 day rotation, last remarkable event May 15 having kpindex =7...I'm speculating June 8-10 as the week to watch for next Rah bless You.

20180806_194550.jpg

12 hours ago, WERTY said:

Does it hurt the paradigm when you have axe marks all over the specimens? :) 

I wish I could post more than 3mb's at a time.  I finally learned the name to the hexagonal "turtle shell" pieces..."scutes"! 

20190317_141818.jpg

11 hours ago, WERTY said:

I'm next to a place that once had "Crater lake" as part of its name before it was filled in with dirt.  So perhaps a meteorite displaced some things. 

I further provide evidence of recent paradigm shifting with this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerutti_Mastodon_site

As for more, yeah I get it. Even the possible hominid tooth will just be dismissed as it "looks like a rock". I may have enough to open my own museum.   Say what you may, but if it looks/walks/quacks like a duck then my money is on a duck. 

1128171358.jpg

10 hours ago, WERTY said:

One can never be sure on the internet if someone is telling the truth.  Perhaps we can agree to that?  I believe there are multiple possibilities. Sometimes a person has multiple accounts as well as like-minded friends whom support them.  I understand the reasonings. Let's not get into a boring debate about echo chambers.  

The confrontation I received implies anything I might ever discuss could not be of interest or could assist in any way.  No big deal. Perhaps someone else will come along one day with a similar find and can learn from this, or make a perfect match for my pics.

9 hours ago, WERTY said:

Now that I thought about it, my original idea was that you guys must think I sculpted it to have the specific shape/size/external coloration etc to so nicely match the comparison.  

The cycles.  Yeah these bones must get incinerated every so often, therefore they don't have the marrow interior so much anymore.  The other places have just been lucky, and you guys are gatekeepers of the knowledge of those cycles. 

Well played.

Great...just great.  Looks like we're due for another blast from the past.  Hmmm...calculating..27 day rotation, last remarkable event May 15 having kpindex =7...I'm speculating June 8-10 as the week to watch for next Rah bless You.

20180806_194550.jpg

What exactly are you trying to prove here?

Are you actually interested in getting an accurate ID on your specimens? Or do you just want to be validated?

It sounds like you're accusing us of some grand conspiracy, which is quite laughable, and frankly pretty insulting. In my years of experience on this forum the community has been nothing but welcoming to newer members and is always ready to help. There are people here from all over the world, from amateurs who just started their collection to professionals that have worked with fossils for decades. You'll find that there is no gatekeeping here. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean it's not true.

Now as to your specimens you've posted. Of course judging something from just a photo can be problematic at times. But in the photos there isn't any indication that these came from animals. These look like regular rocks. They seem to lack any detail that is expected of bone. And if you think we're wrong in thinking these are just rocks. The prove us wrong. If it turns out you're actually right we''ll want to hear it and actually learn something new.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

The only cretaceous exposures in Georgia are  considerably south of the Atlanta area   We dont make this stuff up!

Screenshot_20190526-031034.thumb.jpg.6705422557ed9adb11c641b57f949b7f.jpg

4 hours ago, WERTY said:

Well played.

20180806_194550.jpg

What do the cycles of geomagnetic storms (kp index) on Earth have to due with cycles of fossil bone incineration?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

• Fossildude19 locked this topic

The Topic has been locked. 

When what is sought is validation of a find, instead of a correct identification, then nothing more can be learned here. 

Generalized shape is not something to base an ID on.  :( 

At this point, we ask that the OP take the find to a local museum or University, and have it looked at by a professional paleontologist in hand. 

We must agree to disagree, and part company here. 

We hope he can find a true ID to his items.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me